New fishing regulations

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

New fishing regulations

Post by johnhens »

Any fishing done in the streams, rivers and inland lakes on Isle Royale require barbless hooks to be used. This includes all artificial baits and flies. If you are using a Mepps or Daredevil for instance, you must either use a barbless hook or pinch the barbs with pliers. I began cutting off one of the hooks on all my treble hooks to make releasing fish easier on the fish last year. It did not seem to make a difference in the fish I caught as far as missing hits. This is true for all species of fish in the inland lakes and streams.

Northern Pike: on all inland lakes, pike below 30" may be kept; any pike caught larger than 30" must be released. I was told this is to cull the abundant undersized pike population. On Superior, the minimum size for a keeper pike is 24". I release any larger size pike to return and continue breeding.

More info is in the Greestone.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: New fishing regulations

Post by Nick »

johnhens wrote:I release any larger size pike to return and continue breeding.
Yea, right, ROLF, LOL, my stomach hurts. This is the story you are sticking to? You honestly think any of us actually believe you've caught a pike? Come on. But, alas, I do have photographic proof that you do keep the small ones....
0518 John the Fisherman1.JPG
Did you just crimp the barbs or did you take a Dremmel to them?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

You are a funny man!! :lol: :lol:

I use a pair of pliers to crimp the barbs down. We will be in RH till the 24th and then down to Malone. I know you are paddling either one side or the other, hope to see you!!

(not really!! :) )
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

You two crack me up with your little exchanges, hahaha.

John: thanks for the info. VERY good and VERY important, so thanks for making a separate thread on it! (Although everyone should read the Greenstone no matter what!)