Shore Fishing

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Derick
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Shore Fishing

Post by Derick »

Can anyone give me some advice on shore fishing? Were planning on Hitting Lake Richie, West Chicken Bone for sure. I know those two lakes have fish but has anyone tried Otter lake, Lake Harvey, Hatchet Lake, Sargent Lake, Angleworm Lake or Lake Ojibway? All the tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Shore Fishing

Post by Kevinl »

Out of the lakes you mention, I have only fished Chickenbone and Richie, from shore and from kayak, with success. Be prepared to wade out a bit and move around the shorelines. Daredevils and Mepps spinners should call in the northern pike and maybe walleye. You don't need to bring anything but Daredevils and Mepps spinners. And wire leaders. If there are weedlines, try to get where you can work the inside of them, and then hold on for the ride.

Good luck and have fun.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I'd also use Spider Wire or some other strong line. It makes landing those big rocks and logs much easier and you don't lose as many lures.

PS: I learned this from JohnH when I was admiring his rock and log collection one day. I've never had that problem, though.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The Natiional Park Service site has a list of what fish are in which lakes at this site:
http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/brochures.htm
Click on "Fish List in Inland Lakes."
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have fished Sargent Lake (hiked in off the Greesntone). I caught a few pike. I have afriend who fished Angleworm and caught small northern.