I.R. afterall!

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

I.R. afterall!

Post by Ingo »

Yeh! I'm making a trip this summer after all :mrgreen: It's been 4 years with life getting in the way of getting back, but the waters have parted. It will be my daughter and I, canoeing from McCargoe to Rock Harbor in 6 days. Nothing like a tough trip :wink: Leave July 27 and return Aug 2--luckily the Voyageur had room in our tight scheduling window. Laura is working summer camps in July and will start her career as a H.S. math teacher later in Aug.

She wants to paddle around Blake Pt and avoid the Duncan/Tobin portage--hmmm, we'll have to see. She remembers the portage from our 2001 trip when she was 13. Also got a better taste of the big lake in 2005 when we paddled around the outer islands of R.H. in some nice swells--which she loved! She doesn't scare easy (which is a little scary sometimes :shock: ) I wouldn't mind being able to say I've canoed around Blake Pt, but it will have to be perfect conditions--otherwise the up and over route :(

As a cost saving measure we're borrowing an Old Town Camper instead of renting a kevlar canoe. So it's heavy, slow, and the plastic oilcans, but it's cheap, stable, and it will get to Tobin Harbor one way or the other--and it's stil alot lighter than what I grew up portaging.

Not sure if we're going to do the fishing thing or not. Want to go light, but we'll have plenty of time to fish if we want, but we'll need licenses for several days. And I'm not much of a fisherman. But just in case, can you still get a Michigan license at the marina in G.P.? If so, how late are they open in the evening?

Time to get planning.....
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: I.R. afterall!

Post by johnhens »

Good for you!!!
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

That is awesome John. So glad to hear that. I am wishing for no twisted ankles for you both! I still remember your trip report last time.
"The Island Is Calling"
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

moss13 wrote:That is awesome John. So glad to hear that. I am wishing for no twisted ankles for you both! I still remember your trip report last time.
Thanks Moss! At least the portaging is minimal this time (well, excepting Duncan/Tobin). I think Laura wil be watching the ground more!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Fantastic! Be sure to take your passport in case the current/winds are strong around Blake Point :wink:

Marina number 1-218-475-2476

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Awesome, have a great time.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Keweenaw wrote:Fantastic! Be sure to take your passport in case the current/winds are strong around Blake Point :wink:
LMAO! Of course, if that's an issue it would only help with body identification :?
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Congrats Ingo. Doing IR with your daughter is a blast. I've been there twice with mine and she wants to go again.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

philranger wrote:Congrats Ingo. Doing IR with your daughter is a blast. I've been there twice with mine and she wants to go again.
The two of us did a trip in 2005 that was supposed to be 9 days doing all inland lakes and all portatges on the island! A sprained ankle on the 1st portage (Moskey to Richie) turned it into 9 days on Rock Harbor. We had LOTS of father/daughter bonding time playing "Truth or Truth" since I couldn't dare her to do anything! We've looked forward to going back together ever since.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Kari and I did McCargo to Chippewa Harbor via Moskey in 2006. Last year, we did the Feltmann loop. I even used my REI rebate to get her a new backpack . . . so now she can carry more.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

philranger wrote:Kari and I did McCargo to Chippewa Harbor via Moskey in 2006. Last year, we did the Feltmann loop. I even used my REI rebate to get her a new backpack . . . so now she can carry more.
Sherpa training!! :lol:
loreeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by loreeh »

Hi Ingo, sounds like fun trip with your daughter. My son is 15 and the last 4 years went packing with me but now says he hates the island and won't go again until I bring him to Hawaii 1st. Ha!! So I missed him, just got back Sun from a solo trip 6 nights. It was good except boots failed, are no longer waterproof. I'll look for you on boat July 27th as a friend asked me to go with her. She's a 1st time backpacker so it should be fun as long as she likes it. She's a good sport. We'll be returning the 2nd also on Voyageur.
Loree
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

Ingo, you can buy a week fishing license online at the MI DNR website
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

colvinch wrote:Ingo, you can buy a week fishing license online at the MI DNR website
That's great! I just checked it out. Last time I checked a few years ago you couldn't get it online w/o a MI license or "Sportcard", but now they let you buy the Sportcard for an extra buck at the same time. Very nice for us 1000+ miles away :)
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

loreeh wrote:Hi Ingo, sounds like fun trip with your daughter. My son is 15 and the last 4 years went packing with me but now says he hates the island and won't go again until I bring him to Hawaii 1st. Ha!! So I missed him, just got back Sun from a solo trip 6 nights. It was good except boots failed, are no longer waterproof. I'll look for you on boat July 27th as a friend asked me to go with her. She's a 1st time backpacker so it should be fun as long as she likes it. She's a good sport. We'll be returning the 2nd also on Voyageur.
Loree
Loree, see you on the boat! We shouldn't be hard to miss. BTW, my wife and I did Hawaii last year, and it IS great (but I won't tell your son)! I'm sure your son will come around in a few years.... Just got to get thru the teens :roll: