solo kayaking adventure

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Schillace
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

solo kayaking adventure

Post by Schillace »

Planning WAY ahead...I'm thinking of doing a solo circumnavigation next year. Any tips, pros cons. Do it? Don't do it? Not a novice, but have only been kayaking for a few years...lots of trail miles under my belt.

Best time of year to try this?
How long should I plan to be out?

And advice would be helpful.
Thank you!
Attachments
river1.jpg
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: solo kayaking adventure

Post by Keweenaw »

The hardcore kayak guys will have more specific recommendations but I would highly suggest you have a bomb-proof Eskimo roll before attempting it. Even then you want to pay very close attention to the weather. Not a lot of places to get off the Lake between Hugginin and Little Todd.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Good for you, now is the time to start planning.
I have done a 1/2 circumnavigation, we did the North side.
While a eskimo roll is good to know, most of the people who do them don't practice them in the conditions in which one would need the skill, namely rough water. I can do a great 3/4 eskimo roll-but the last 1/4 roll is the most important. Can't get the hip snap down. I have practiced self rescue particularly in rough seas (though I will confess to not having my gear in the my boat).

Folks do it solo, and if that is your choice, beware of the weather. Generally speaking late July early August are the quietest times on Superior, which is not saying much as storms happen all summer.
Decide what direction you want to travel, but have 2 routes planned as you may get to IR and the weather pattern may make your choice of one direction over the other (ie East to West, North side first South Side first).

Do you have a VHF, flares, ect. Good safety gear to have. Have a small bailout kit ( I kept matches, small light in my pfd pocket). What is the longest day you have paddled? This may come into play again becaue of the weather.
Time-we gaves ourselves plenty of time as you may get windbound for a day or two. One of things I did that really helped in planning for the trip was taking the Voyager as it gave me more options as far as which way I went. I also took the Voyager for previous trips and that gave me the chance to look at options for the NW side (there are very few) and the South Side between Malone and Rock Harbor, again where the options for taking out are limited.

One of the things that helped us was paddling at night. If you have not done this, I would recommend doing so before you go. I used a GPS whcih was a big help at night particularly when the shore is hard to see.
I used a bodyglide on the pits and other areas that tended to chafe and that helped. I also wore sailing gloves which helped prevent blisters. That should get you started and others will pop in with their experiences.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Many people really enjoy solo trips. I would definitely say go for it. I've paddled the island 3 times and circumnavigated in 2007.

In addition to what John stated, a roll is very beneficial, but to make it bombproof, you have to have quite a bit of experience rolling in some rough conditions, because that's where that roll is going to have to work. One caveat (and not that I recommend), many kayakers have solid bracing skills and paddle in conditions that are very challenging and they don't have a roll. I just returned from 9 days at Pukaskwa and every day up there was very rough, including the first day where waves where hitting 7 feet, occasionally breaking, winds 20 knts sustained with gusts in excess of 30+. A day I actually had to turn back because we couldn't go any further. Days following were around points with high winds and big reflecting waves/seas. Many of those areas I had to brace multiple times to stay upright. Never in fear of going over, but I would have if I couldn't brace effectively. I have a good combat roll and that most likely contributed to me being comfortable with those conditions and bracing.

THE reason I say this is because I knew what I would paddling into every day. I was fairly sure the conditions where going to be rough because of a multitude of things....weather, shoreline effect, etc. And I knew what my limitations where. Even though Superior changes dramatically, you can plan your trip accordingly and have a good itinerary worked out to take advantage of good weather. Very possibly paddling most of the trip in very calm seas. Most of my July 07 trip was calm seas with some days of high winds. I used one weather day.

This is what I'd further consider:

Plan your trip for at least 10 days around mid July. Two days for wind/weather or used toward the end of your trip if weather cooperates for day hikes or R&R.

Figure 15 mile days with a possible 20+ mile day or two to make up for lost time. Prepare your paddling fitness level well in advance to handle such mileage.

Become proficient in weather knowledge and old fashioned navigation (yes, take a GPS, but DON'T rely on it as your primary source of getting around). Practice your dead reckoning and pilotage.

Plan your paddling around the forecasts and only attempt the tough areas with a good overall outlook. Points that are highly exposed such as each end of the island and intermediate points, ie from Huginnin Cove to Little Todd, Locke, Hill and Scoville Points, Siskiwit Bay/Pt Houghton...etc. In addition to those areas, always plan secondary points to land with the thought...."If I can't make it here, I have point A, B or C to make in between. Always try and leave yourself an out.

Quality electronics, VHF and GPS with spare battery packs. Signaling devices such as handheld or aerial flares immediately accessible.

OVERALL, nothing can take the place of thorough planning and practice of skills. Don't let all this talk of safety, weather and rolling get in the way of you making the trip. Heck, the year I did it, I crossed paths with a 13 year old girl paddling an open rec boat and her father in a big canoe going all the way around....NOT THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND, but amazing nonetheless!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. There are many experienced people on this forum that paddle the island.