In need of some suggestions for an Isle Royale Trip rout

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

StreamDeamon
NewbieCake

In need of some suggestions for an Isle Royale Trip rout

Post by StreamDeamon »

Hello all,

I am an experienced Fisher and camper but this will be my first time out to Isle Royale. I am planning on spending 5 days on the island some time this coming June. I will most likely be taking the Queen IV to the island bringing Kayaks along with me. I was wondering if any one could suggest a good rout to fishing the inland lakes. I know there will be some healthy Portages along the way I'm just not sure the best rout.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
mihiker
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: In need of some suggestions for an Isle Royale Trip rout

Post by mihiker »

Hi Aaron, Welcome!
Not much activity on the forums lately.
I am not a kayak-er so I have no suggestions for routes.
There are many discussions in Canoeing, Kayaking & Fishing and in Trip Reports if you look back over the last two seasons.

It does look like many travel from Chippewa Harbor to McCargoe or from McCargoe to Chippewa.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Wait til John gets a hold of this question. Like lobbing a batter a meatball.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

Since John is busy building a chimney and chase for his new wood burning stove, I'll give you a sugestion.

Since the Queen will drop you at Rock Harbor, your best bet would be to paddle to Moskey Basin and portage to Lake Richie. From ther it really depends on the kind of trip you want. You could easily stay in Lake Richie and paddle and fish the days away until you need to head back to catch the Queen for your ride back. Or, you could push on and make your way to Intermediate Lake and on into Siskiwit Lake where the fishing is usually epic in the spring. Getting to Siskiwit and back in 5 days would require a couple of long paddle/portage days. You would have to decide which kind of trip you want, nice and relaxing, or pushing to get the furthest you can into the island's interior.

Another option would be to paddle to Chippewa Harbor and then on to Siskiwit, but that paddle would be very weather dependent and tough to plan with a 5 day window. I am sure that John would tell you above all to respect the Big Lake.

If your schedule allows, you could always catch the Voyager to Malone Bay and cut off some of your open water paddling. That would still leave you with a long open water paddle back to Rock Harbor. Even with a stop at Chippewa Harbor that paddle can be tough at any time of year. If the Superior doesn't allow paddling, you can opt for the portage routes back through either Intermediate Lake or Lake Whittlesy both of which offer good spring fishing.

I am sure that John will have much more to say on this subject.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I believe that you can also take the water taxi ($$) from Rock Harbor to Chippewa.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey Aaron,
Since you didn't say you were an experienced kayaker, you should stay in protected waters. An alternative to the inland lakes is the protected bays on the north side of the island. My favorite area and good lake trout and northern fishing. You have 1 tough portage between Tobin Harbor and Duncan Bay, but personally I'd rather do that one than the 2+ mile Moskey/Richie portage. Opinions vary on which is worse though :) Whatever you decide you can't go wrong!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
StreamDeamon
NewbieCake

Post by StreamDeamon »

Thank you every one for your replies!

I'm leaning heavily toward going through Moskey Basin and portaging to Lake Richie and then making my way over to Siskiwit and then maybe taking a water Taxi back to Rock Harbor. I will up date you all as I go and I will be sure to offer my feed back after the Trip.

Thanks again everyone!

Aaron
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Aaron, if you're thinking about using the water taxi, consider taking it to Malone Bay and paddling back. First, prevailing summer winds are SW--no guarantee of course, and the longest portage will be last instead of first--you'll be carrying less and have a couple under your belt.

Also, you could look into taking the Voyageur II from Rock Harbor to Malone Bay--it circumnavigates the island 2 or 3 times a week. The advantage over the water taxi is it's cheaper, but you would have to stay at R.H. the 1st night and your 1st day out would have to fit it's schedule.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Aaron,
I have experienced the inland lakes with a canoe several times during trips dedicated
to fishing and exploring. Here are some highlights of these trips.

Chippewa Harbor:
Paddling the narrows to Whittlesey.

Lake Whittlesey:
Solitude, Walleye fishing, Bushwacking to Greenstone Beach and Little Greenstone Beach.
Favorite portage - Whittleysey to Wood Lake.

Wood Lake:
High Bluffs, Campsite Views, Solitude, Sheltered access to Siskiwit Lake and Shallow Lake
Trout June fishing.

Intermediate Lake:
Second favorite Portage - Siskiwit to Intermediate.
Note : Least favorite campsite in Inland Lakes - I have never stayed here.

Lake Richie:
Canoe Campsite is still secluded from backpacking traffic. Nice point to lounge.
Northern Pike fishing.

I am not sure how kayak portaging is, I do with canoe. That in mind, if i had four nights with
a canoe, I would water taxi to Chippewa Harbor
Night 1: Lake Whittlesey - Walleye fish
Night 2: Wookd Lake - Lake Trout fish Siskiwit
Night 3: Lake Richie - Northern Pike fish.
Night 4: Anywhere on other side of Lake Richie/Moskey Basin Portage.

....from my experience fishing these lakes and with a canoe.
J
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

You have already gotten a lot of good info, (but who could pass up being lobbed a meatball :lol: )
I will add a few comments. Paddling Rock harbor is a beautiful paddle and offers frequent places to pull out if the weather changes. It can get rough particularly if the wind is SW. The portage to Richie is long, it would help if you had partners.
Great fishing on Richie for pike!!!
Intermediate is a nice inbetween lake, but I would push on to Siskiwit/Wood Lake where the options for fishing are better IMO. Siskiwit can get rough, keep that in mind. Good idea to have a Weather radio.
Spray skirts would be good if it gets rough. Keep in mind you may be delayed at Siskiwit if the weather is bad. A good place to be delayed at!

Good luck!!!