BUGS!

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Lane
NewbieCake

Re: BUGS!

Post by Lane »

Arrived on 25th, left on 31st - Supposed to leave on 30th, but got fogged in and left on July 1st (the 31st of June). Bugs not bad at all, some mosquitoes, black flies were unseen - 3 mile, moskey, chickenbone. Lot's of big mayflies at Richie that were quite friendly. Richie had probably most things pest.
kenneth.setser
NewbieCake

Post by kenneth.setser »

I just bought a bottle of Permethrin 10. It says livestock spray 10% permethrin. Is this the stuff your talking about and I just dilute it?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

kenneth.setser wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 pmI just bought a bottle of Permethrin 10. It says livestock spray 10% permethrin. Is this the stuff your talking about and I just dilute it?
The prescribed strength for treating clothing is a 0.5% solution. Dilute what you have 19 parts water to 1 part from your bottle. You can soak the clothing in a small bucket of diluted solution or use a spray bottle. You need to make sure the clothing is completely saturated. Wring out the excess and let thoroughly dry. Wear gloves but getting a little on your skin shouldn't hurt unless you happen to be allergic. Just completely rinse off your skin to make sure. You can easily store any excess mixture, just make sure you label it.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Got off the island on Tuesday after 10 days. The bug situation is pretty good. There’s some skeeters out but nothing too bad. No flies. Just thought I’d update this thread for anyone heading to the island soon.
captsolo
NewbieCake

Post by captsolo »

thanks, headed out Sunday morning, looks to be good weather and hopefully no bugs!