Memorial day weather and bugs

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Bkrnclmbr
NewbieCake

Memorial day weather and bugs

Post by Bkrnclmbr »

I'm working on plans for a trip to the Isle between 5/31/10 and 6/5/10, and had a few questions about that time period. Historically, what has the weather been like at the end of May and into early june? What kind and quantity of bugs should i plan for? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Memorial day weather and bugs

Post by johnhens »

We have gone up the last 4 or 5 years at that time. Generally the weather is cool high 20's-30-40 at night high 40's low 50's during the day (warmer away from the Lake). You can count on a few sunny "warm" days. Count on a few rainy days and snow is not out of the question.

Bugs are normally not a problem unless Spring comes early as it did the first Spring we went up there, inland the bugs were terrible.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Memorial day weather and bugs

Post by Backpacker534 »

I will "second" the comments made by John. My buddy and I typically end up on the island during the last week or so of May. We have had temps as low as 32 degrees overnight as well as upper 30's to low 40's. Days have ranged from 45-70, cloudy and sunny. I have never experienced snow, but obviously that's not out of the question. And, I don't recall any trip where we haven't had at least one day of rain. So, basically, be prepared for a wide range of temperatures and conditions. It is probably best to pack too much warm clothes and wet-weather gear and not need them, rather than take a gamble, only to find out you wish you had packed differently.