Bugs not a problem

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

bejiggy
NewbieCake

Bugs not a problem

Post by bejiggy »

I just got back from Isle Royale and the bugs were not a problem either. No biting black flies and used mosquito repellent once in the morning and then again once in the evening. I never used my bug net.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Bugs not a problem

Post by jerry »

I just got back yesterday from ISRO. Last Saturday the flies were a pain, especially the one that got me in the arm. And those little blood suckers (Mighty Ms) were on the Minong trail (June 27-30). Thank God for my head net. The wind from the north when we were on the ridges didn't help much either.
johnp
NewbieCake

Post by johnp »

Agree - returned 7/6 and used Deet spray, but bugs did not bother. Never used head nets. But...w/o the spray, they let you have it!
egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by egraetze »

I had been planning for a mid August trip this year. Now it is looking like a late July trip. My prior trips have been late May/early June. The only bugs either time was with black flies at Hatchet Lake. All other sites, no problem. How bad can I expect bugs in late July? I generally had been taking trips into Canada (Lake Superior Provincial Park) late July and early August since that is the best time to avoid bugs.
Eric
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Blackflies should be pretty much nonexistent. Mosquitoes depend on the weather - a few days after a good rain there could be a hatch, but they are most bothersome morning and evening.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by egraetze »

Thanks for the response. May be going the second week of July now. I just want to make sure the blackflies should be long gone. I had never experienced them like we were attacked at Hatchet Lake back in 88.
Eric