Thunderstorms

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

lewiada
NewbieCake

Thunderstorms

Post by lewiada »

Anybody ever been stuck in a thunderstorm on IR (or anyplace else for that matter)? In the past we either car camp (where we can leave if we need to) or plan short backpacking traps locally where we can be pretty sure about good weather. Planning now on a week long trip on IR and that leaves to mother nature what will happen weather wise. Ever since a backpacking trip a few years ago where a giant tree feel just shy of our tent in the middle of the night, well let's just say the honeymoon was over at that point. I've had an all new respect for trees and storms. Thoughts?
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Thunderstorms

Post by hooky »

We've just always tried to look at the trees around us and stay away from those that looked like trouble in a high wind situation. I don't really know what else we could do. I'm curious to hear the advice of others on this topic.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Yes, there are thunderstorms. But certainly fewer than where i live (NC). I've experienced a few on the island without incident and remember one story here about a tree falling next to a tent, but basically it is a risk of wilderness camping. When there's a choice, staying away from dead and weak trees is about all you can do, as hooky said, but sometimes there isn't a choice. I believe that lightning is actually a bigger threat, and will try not to pitch my tent under the tallest tree (i.e. lightning rod) in the campground. Although last summer we ended up camping under the tallest tree on top of a mountain in N.C. in severe t-storms because there wasn't a choice. Did not make us feel comfortable, but I try not to worry about about things I can't do anything about. And keep telling myself that the risk is probably less than being in an accident driving to work every day :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

We were at Windigo in the CG. Knew there were T-storms on the way. We sat in the shelter listening to trees around us loosing limbs and a few trees blew down.
We were leaving Windigo on the VII. Made it almost to Beaver Island when Fritz spun the wheel and scooted back to the dock. A blow came in (60-70mph) with sideways rain, hail and thunder.
Siskiwit Bay, a thunderstorm came through, we put the tent fly over the front of the shelter to keep the blowing rain out.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Lucky for my girlfriend and I, out of the 27 days we'd been on the island in the past, not once did we encounter a thunderstorm. There was once a day with momentary drizzle, but that did not last for more that 15 minutes before the whole area became foggy and the rain ceased. This year I will probably end up being on the island for yet another 27 days and am hoping to encounter my first rainstorm during one of them as crazy as that may sound. I just hope it is not on my solo trip. Futhermore, I hope that when and if it happens, I am not staying at South Desor. That camp area looks like its infested with dead or dying white birch trees that quiver even during the slighest gusts of wind. I could only imagine what the site would look like after a huge storm :?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I think every trip I've been on to IR, I've been caught in a thunderstorm. It's probably a feature of going in the spring (late May/early June). I don't mind the thunderstorms at all, although I know there can be some risk to them.

My favorite thunderstorm was a bout of every climate possible. We were hiking the Greenstone-Minong loop when it started snowing on us around Chickenbone (nothing that stayed on the ground), then later it rained and poured, followed by hail, and then ending in a fierce thunderstorm. It was actually really fun, and makes for a great story.

Last year when we were there in a shelter at Washington Creek CG, I saw some of the most spectacular thunder, lightning, and rain I've ever seen. The rain was so intense, I could see Washington Creek creeping up closer to the shelter...I could tell, because the lightning was so constant and bright.

You should yield all these previous posters' tips, because they are pretty pro. But if you want the best way to figure out if it's going to storm, here's what I do:

1. Watch the lake. You can see a storm coming for miles.
2. Get a small marine radio. It's the best tip you have for hearing if a storm is coming.
3. Watch the lake.
4. I use a watch that has a built-in barometer & thermometer. A good one can trend the barometric pressure change & temperature change and predict the weather. I use a discontinued model of Highgear Trail altimeter watch that does this. It's very reliable ; one of my hiking partners calls it "the Jesus watch" because it can predict the weather so accurately, he thinks it actually *makes* the weather. As a side note, the watch is a spendy way to get into the "what's-the-weather-going-to-be-like" game, but there's many fringe benefits, including A) hvaing a watch B) having an alarm C) having a compass. Plus, like I said, it's terribly accurate at predicting the weather. My watch is about 6 years old now, and I can only imagine they are getting better at it.
MIKE A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by MIKE A »

Yes I have been in storms a few times.
Hiked the Minong in the early 2000 and had a choice at the end.
Go to Windigo or HC.
I decided on HC for the night.
Bad storms came rolling in , 12 Hours none stop.
Some of the most intense rain I have ever seen.
I weather radio would have helped for sure .
The Mining is a lonely place in Early May.
I never saw a sole all week to ask about weather etc.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

1. Watch the lake. You can see a storm coming for miles.
How do you use the lake to your benefit?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)