Gales of September

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Richard1961
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Gales of September

Post by Richard1961 »

I am planning on making a trip to the Island in September. However I have received several warning about the weather turning bad at that time of year. I am looking at sailing my 26ft sailboat over from Grand Portage MN. I understand that the weather can get nasty that time of year but if I stay in the more protected waters of the southern Harbors and bays and leave a lot of extra time to make my move along the shore can I safely make this trip? On the southern shore Rock Harbor, Moskee basin, Chippewa, Hay Bay etc all look like I could find shelter from the worst of the weather. Does it make sence to try it this time of the year or should I put this trip off till next spring? I think as long as I respect the weather and explore the island on her terms I think I can do it. Thanks much Richard
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Gales of September

Post by johnhens »

Pay close attention to the weather, the long stretches of exposed water are Washington Harbor to Todd Harbor and Point Houghton to Washington Harbor.
September is a great time to be on the Island-but it also has big storms.

Have fun!!!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

As John says about the weather, pay close attention. I would add to this a list of both requirements and precautions for your review:

1) VHF marine radio
2) Weather radio
3) EPIRB or PPIRB
4) Dry survival exposure suits for emergency use.
5) Have a thorough vessel examination by Coast Guard Auxiliary or Coast Guard. It’s always good to get an independent set of eyes on your equipment.
6) Possibly a good forward looking sonar to help spot reefs. (You still need to be going slow)

I would not schedule my final fuel top off on the last day the Rock Harbor marina is open. The weather can be handled when you are always willing to change your plans to accommodate it. The pressure to adhere to tight a schedule can result in too much risk taking. Combine that with any number of other adverse situations that could pop up and the beginnings of bad situation is in your lap. With proper preparation and respect you have little to fear. I wish I was going along. ~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

Midwest Ed wrote:As John says about the weather, pay close attention. I would add to this a list of both requirements and precautions for your review:

1) VHF marine radio
2) Weather radio
3) EPIRB or PPIRB
4) Dry survival exposure suits for emergency use.
5) Have a thorough vessel examination by Coast Guard Auxiliary or Coast Guard. It’s always good to get an independent set of eyes on your equipment.
6) Possibly a good forward looking sonar to help spot reefs. (You still need to be going slow)

I would not schedule my final fuel top off on the last day the Rock Harbor marina is open. The weather can be handled when you are always willing to change your plans to accommodate it. The pressure to adhere to tight a schedule can result in too much risk taking. Combine that with any number of other adverse situations that could pop up and the beginnings of bad situation is in your lap. With proper preparation and respect you have little to fear. I wish I was going along. ~Ed
Thanks much I have 1,2, and 5. I am already shopping for 6. And 3 and 4 Will soon be on my shopping list.

As far as the fuel goes I will be carrying enough fuel to make it all the way arround the island. However if I top of at Windigo and Rock Harbor it will give me a bigger margin of safty. I also read on another boating site that fuel is advailble post season at Mott Island from the rangers on a catch as catch can basis.

The list of stops is my wish list if everything goes perfect. A lot of the stops are near each other and I can Skip anything I need to to stay safe. I am looking at this being the shakedown cruise for another longer trips next spring and fall. The more I research the island I might break down and spend the whole season there next year. Just crossing back to MN every 2-3 weeks to resupply and unload my trash. I would just have to look into having my meds dropshipped to the island a few times as 3 months are all I get at one time.

Well once again thanks everyone. Richard
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I would hold-off on the Dry Suits until after you've been on the lake a few times. A PLB is a good idea. In-fact, I carry both a PLB and EPIRB as a backup. When I visit the island, I'm always alone.

I've been boating on L. Superior for more than 12 years, and I've made the Grand Portage to Isle Royale crossing six times. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I've never encountered conditions that would have found me in the water, needing a dry suit.

Lake Superior is formidable, but for the well-informed recreational boater, it's not the Bering Sea.
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

Thanks again for the help. I used to be an over the road truck driver(1/2 a million accident free miles) and a private pilot (3 years accident free) in a previous life so I believe in being prepared for the weather but not fearing the weather. What is going to happen is going to happen and worring about it will not change it a bit. That said I will be carring all the safty gear I need. Prepare for the worst and plan for the best.

However I am starting to second guess my choice of boats for the trip. I am looking at a 25ft Carver cuddy cabin power boat. This boat has a 260hp V-8 stern drive. I am starting to think that this would be a better choice for the possible fast changing weather that late in the year. 20+ MPH could get me out of trouble a lot faster then the 4-5mph that my 15hp windchaser does. Also being a power boat it has a lot more space to carry canoes or kayaks. However with more power comes higher fuel bills. There is something about a sailboat that seems to fit with the wilderness theme of ISRO. So many choices so little time to make them. Only 6 more weeks till the first of September Richard