How much bug repellent to bring for 3 people in 8 days?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

How much bug repellent to bring for 3 people in 8 days?

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Okay, I am going to preface this by saying it IS a bit of a stupid question, but I am just looking for a ballpark idea.

How much bug repellent do you tend to use (estimated) while on the island? I don't want to bring too little and run out, but don't want to bring a decent sized bottle and add weight. MySweetRamona and I are bringing our daughter in mid-August for about 8 days. Getting some feedback is just going to help me work through this dilemna. Thanks all in advance!

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: How much bug repellent to bring for 3 people in 8 days?

Post by Redbad »

I used around 1/2 of a 4oz bottle of Repel 100 DEET (this stuff keeps bugs away at the expense of melting any plastic that it comes into contact with) for 15 days on ISRO. I also used a bug head net. Figure 1-2 oz of bug spray per person per week (I suppose more if you are using less powerful concentrations of DEET.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I never get it quite right myself, but for 8 days I'd bring a 4 oz bottle if by myself, so times 3 (at least 2). I probably use somewhat more than Redbad (I tend to sweat a bit). Considering your companions, think about the consequences of carrying a few extra oz vs running out :( . When camping with family (wife and/or 2 daughters) I always bring too much bug dope, sunscreen, and TP--but it will always be that way! And treat your clothes with permethrin before you go--it does help quite a bit.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I've been carrying the same 2oz tube of 3M Ultrathon (34%) for a couple years. :shock: An application lasts most of the day, and I just apply it to 'hit' points like the top of ears, forehead/cheeks, and back of hands and arms. (Full disclosure: Mosquitos don't affect me, so I tend to ignore them and have a high tolerance threshold.)
I would think a tube per-person would cover even the most pestered of folks for that amount of time.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

DOH!!! I forgot to mention the permethrin. :shock: I did pick that tip up from (I think) photosean in one of his trip reports, and I bought some online, so I will use that. There is a small cottage company near where I am that makes homemade bug dope. It smells great (I do understand that you likely have never heard anyone describe insect repellent as great smelling, but it really IS decent) and works quite well as we have used it before. I figure MySweetRamona will likely be a little bent out of shape without a shower for over a week, if she smells like Deep Woods OFF! in addition to no shower, that is just begging for trouble. And for any that are about to suggest that she freshen up in the lake, this is the same woman that wears a sweatshirt when it is in the 70's. :lol: I don't see much activity for her in 40 some degree water. :o

I do want to avoid the DEET preparations, since I have heard the bad things it can do to gear. Since I picked up a lot of newer ultralight stuff for our trip last year, I would really prefer to take good care of it. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
BigErn
NewbieCake

Post by BigErn »

We just got back from the island a little over a week ago and brought 10 ounces of Picardin for 2 people. We had a little left over. We stayed away from Deet due to what others have said about it melting equipment, so to speak. The Picaridin worked great for mosquitoes, but it seemed not to repel the black flies quite as well. But as Tom stated in an earlier post, the black flies were not as pesky and mostly seemed to just land on you without actually biting. I only had a few bites on my legs from the first day when I had shorts on. Headnets were used frequently especially for the dense, forested hike between Lake Ritchie and Chippewa Harbor.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

BigErn wrote:The Picaridin worked great for mosquitoes, but it seemed not to repel the black flies quite as well.
That's been my experience as well. I also find that it doesn't seem to last quite as long as DEET.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
eliotski
NewbieCake

Post by eliotski »

I cant speak personally to the bugs on Isle Royale this year-yet- but two friends did a backpack trip on the east end last week and said the bugs are thick out there.

I have spent the last three weeks in MI in the U.P. on canoe trips with students (10-13 year olds) and will say the skeeters and deer flies on the mainland are really intense this year. We had one evening where we were lifting headnets to take bites of food then putting them down to chew. We carried Off Deep woods in the 6 oz "squirt" bottle as well as Cutters Family and Skinsations. 8 people went through 3 containers on a 6 day trip. Both Cutters options have a pleasant "stink" so your Sweet Ramona may find that brand more to her liking. They arent heavy on the DEET either but still do the job. Admittedly, I tend to go heavy on the bugspray but when the kids woke up looking like they had chicken pox from all the bites, I took over and was pretty adamant about liberally spraying them down from head to toe/front and back 3-4 times a day. (soon as they left the tent in the am, after swimming, dinner)

If you have the time and funds I would strongly recommend picking up a "bug suit" (very light weight and cool) or at the very least a head net for everyone. Walmart and Target carry head nets for cheap. Even if the size small suit is huge on your daughter it will work. My 4 1/2 ft daughter wore an XL jacket that came to her knees with sleeves that were more like flippers bcuz that was all the store had and she wouldnt take it off! We got one at Gander mountain last year (pants and jacket) for $20 and one from REI just last week for $25. Long light weight yet baggy pants tucked into socks and a lightweight long sleeve shirt sprayed with bugspray also helped some of my travelers through. They would change into these clothes as the sun went down and things cooled off then we only had to spray ankles, feet, necks , ears and hats.

Im with the person who says it worth it to carry the extra weight to be sure you have enough bug spray. I also carry extra kids benedryl tablets in the first aid kit. If I get someone who just gets chowed on and is miserably itchy or someone who has scratched themselves raw Ive found giving 1/2 a dose takes the edge off enough to let them get a good nights sleep.

Sorry for the disertation length answer to a simple question.
Good luck!
GoofyGirl
NewbieCake

Post by GoofyGirl »

First off, bug repellent questions are NOT stupid. I agree with the strongest stuff that is NOT DEET you can afford. I am a native Minnesota girl so deer flies and mosquitoes are not a big deal to me. We were on the Island from July 2-6 and I did not think the bugs were any worse than Minnesota. We did, however, make it a point to not rest near a pond or swamp. obviously.

I found that spraying suncreen on, waiting a few minutes for it to soak in then applying the bug repellent was the best.
sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by sgatz »

Just got back from an "across the middle of the island" canoe trip. Both my dad and I had an 4 oz bottle of Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Bug Spray (deet free). We just used about half of his (I didn't even open mine), but I was glad to have it. Two times I used BullFrog Mosquito Coast SPF 30 sunblock and Insect Repellant (deet free).
GoofyGirl
NewbieCake

Post by GoofyGirl »

My boyfriend and I went back (were there over the 4th of July) just after Labor Day and we forgot the bug spray! We forgot it in the car. We did not miss it. Again, we are native Minnesota folks so bugs don't bother us too much. So go get some bug stuff that does NOT have deet.....and remember to pack it! :wink:

Next May/June, of course!