End of May trip

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

back2nature
NewbieCake

End of May trip

Post by back2nature »

With regards to weather, bugs and other conditions, what to expect for a 5 day trip the last week of May? TIA
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: End of May trip

Post by hooky »

My guess is a week at the end of May will require very little DEET and a very warm sleeping bag.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

hooky wrote:My guess is a week at the end of May will require very little DEET and a very warm sleeping bag.
+1.

You might see one black fly up on a ridge. Be sure to swat it for us.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

The end of May is always when I travel to the island. One of the primary reasons is because of the lack of bugs. This season will be undoubtedly bug-free due to the late thaw that has yet to occur.

I always bring a small thing of bug spray just in case, but I've used the same container for about five years now...never had a need for it.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I'm dreaming of nights in the 50's...and not a bug insight ;)..... now all We need is good weather for the boats!
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

I just got back. Mosquitos are just starting. It was very warm on the Island this past weekend.
back2nature
NewbieCake

Post by back2nature »

OK- Report on bugs week of 5/26-5/30: 2 mosquitoes, no black flies! A variety of other buzzing non-biting flies and gnats but not obtrusive. However, there were other bloodsuckers to be found- I had a deer tick (yeah wonderful) and about a half dozen leeches after wading in chickenbone lake while fishing. The weather was absolutely amazing, no rain for five days, a little warm on Monday otherwise perfect hiking weather, with cool crisp nights.
refuge
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by refuge »

Thanks for the report! Crossing my fingers that the black fly hatch holds off another few weeks.... we sail June 13 and are out for 6 nights.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Im hoping for the same refuge we sail the 14th... Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the bug update!
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

Cheers for the heads up! Shit is getting thick down here around Grand Rapids, but we did have a run of mid 80's over the last week. I have yet to see the temps hit higher than mid to hi 60's on the isle!
I'm with yous guys I'll be heading over from Copper Harbor on the 15th! And I'm hoping to dodge the black flies, I'm all set with the other blood suckers :evil: !
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I just returned yesterday, be loaded for bear! We were glad to be leaving. We did have bugs ....they were tolerable but they are winding up. My thought is another week and they will be in full force!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by RockRiver »

Where we live, between Munising and Marquette, MI the mosquitoes are really terrible. Since IR is about 100 miles north of here I expect June through July will be pretty intense. When we were on IR in late May, there were basically no bugs, especially on the NE end of the island. When we got home on the day after Memorial Day, the mosquitoes were in full swing and have only gotten worse. In case anyone has a trip planned for the Pictured Rocks area, I would wait till after mid July. I expect the bugs will have toned down by then.