Update as of 6/26

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Update as of 6/26

Post by Tightlines01 »

I just got off the island last night from the east end of the island. I was planning a west end tour but also was one of the many who had weather problems and couldn't fly. I went over on the Queen.

The skeeters were pretty minimal but bad in isolated spots. I heard reports that some areas were bad (Lane cove for example). I would believe that, as the worst spot for me was Tobin Harbor trail and Mt Franklin trail between Tobin and Rock trails.

I stayed at Daisy twice and West Chickenbone and never used bug spray once. I did pretreat my clothes in permethrin though. A few skeeters flying around but not even enough for me to put deet on for. Please note though it was pretty cold (I could see my breath at times in the rain) and rainy when I was on the island which I'm sure contributed to the lack of bugs and when it warms more things will likely explode.

Short story is I'd expect bugs unless you get a cold spell.
ryanpett
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Update as of 6/26

Post by ryanpett »

Just to second Tightlines01 - we spent 8 days on the island from June 21 - 28 and hiked Windigo to Rock Harbor along the Greenstone. Mosquitoes were worse on the Windigo end - the canopy covered swampy, humid forest areas (obviously). We used head nets occasionally, but with a nice layer of DEET - we were able to keep them at bay. No matter where we went though, the moment we stopped for a quick break / meal - the mosquitoes swarmed... so continue to re-apply DEET. After Hatchet Lake though - I was able to get by with minimal DEET use and without a head net... they didn't bother me enough to risk a DEET flavored Clif bar at that point.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Update as of 6/26

Post by Ingo »

Just treated my clothes with Permethrin. 7 days to boat...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH