NOAA study of plastics on NPS shoreline

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

NOAA study of plastics on NPS shoreline

Post by johnhens »

Study of plastic particles on NPS beaches.
https://marinedebris.noaa.gov/sites/def ... eaches.pdf
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: NOAA study of plastics on NPS shoreline

Post by Midwest Ed »

Time to give up the Fleece? :roll: Maybe just quit washing it? :shock:

I always thought the organic compounds released from various synthetic materials were far more dangerous than the micro-particles. I know the focus is on various life forms that ingest the micro-particles so I guess it's good we don't eat the sand. Also good to know that the standard backpacking filter should remove the micro-particles. They typically use a 1.5 micro filter to recover particles for study so the minimum 0.4 micron standard for drinking water should be good. Interesting how Lake Superior fared compared to other places although I'd be more concerned about the pollution from mine tailing runoff (mercury, arsenic, asbestos, etc.).

And then there's this recent discovery...
Mutated plastic munching enzyme is accidentally created
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I wonder if this is the reason my filter (MSR Miniworks) clogs when filtering seemingly clear water from Superior.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Midwest Ed wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm Time to give up the Fleece? :roll: Maybe just quit washing it? :shock:

I always thought the organic compounds released from various synthetic materials were far more dangerous than the micro-particles. I know the focus is on various life forms that ingest the micro-particles so I guess it's good we don't eat the sand. Also good to know that the standard backpacking filter should remove the micro-particles. They typically use a 1.5 micro filter to recover particles for study so the minimum 0.4 micron standard for drinking water should be good. Interesting how Lake Superior fared compared to other places although I'd be more concerned about the pollution from mine tailing runoff (mercury, arsenic, asbestos, etc.).

And then there's this recent discovery...
Mutated plastic munching enzyme is accidentally created
We decided to stop buying fleece after reading this. https://www.outsideonline.com/2091876/p ... -pollutant

I still have fleece that I wear, but I'm trying to wear it less (and wash it less) and have been trying to acquire wool to fill void. It's just a drop in the bucket, but it's something I guess. At least I feel a little better.