Fog?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Fog?

Post by HikerAnn »

Just returned from my first Isle Royale trip.Thanks for all the advice here, I had prepared for bugs and wet weather and neither were an issue. Fog however was. Again, thanks to your foresight and advice, I had plan B, C, D, and E in place. It was a wonderful adventure. Thanks for all the help
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: Fog?

Post by bobcat »

I am looking forward to your trip report!
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Plan A: arrive at Rock Harbor, rent a canoe, paddle across Tobin Bay and hike to Lookout Louise. We couldn't go because the fog 'grounded' all canoes and boats. So, instead, we hiked Scoville trail. The fog was amazing. It would come in and completely hide the trail, the lake, the rocks...just everything. Then, as quickly as it came, it would disappear. Day 2 we were going to rent a boat and go to Daisy Farm, hike Mt. Ojibway to Mt Franklin to 3 Mile Campground and back to RH. Fog again. So instead we hiked to 3 Mile Campground (RH trail) up to Mt Franklin back down to Tobin Trail and to RH. Day 3 rented the boat to Moskey Basin (saw the lighthouse and the Moose/wolf/fishery). The males fished Lake Ritchie (caught a Northern Pike) and the females hiked to Mt. Ojibway and they picked us up at Daisy Farm. Day 4 was our paddle across Tobin Bay and hiked to Lookout Louise. It was the most beautiful sight ever. We saw a moose (I think it was Bruce) at Rock Harbor and a young bull moose at Hidden Lake. It was a marvelous trip.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Glad you had a plan in place for all the variables this wonderful place can throw at you!