The Edmund Fitzgerald

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

The Edmund Fitzgerald

Post by johnhens »

Some interesting info from the Marquette, MI NWS on the sinking of the Fitz.
https://www.weather.gov/mqt/fitz_fitz
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: The Edmund Fitzgerald

Post by dcclark »

It looks like the gales of November have been coming early this year as well. NMU canceled classes today with up to a foot of snow predicted by the end of the day.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

In depth report on the weather when the fitz went down.
https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltex ... 060016.pdf
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The Edmund Fitzgerald sinking has always been personal for me. I was going to Michigan Tech that Autumn. I remember vividly everyone walking at a 45 degree angle into 75 MPH winds. I lived in a downtown Houghton apartment above what was at the time the Crown Bakery, overlooking the roof of the Library Bar. (Since we could party on the Library roof that location generated all sorts of different kinds of stories. :roll: ) I mention the apartment because the the people that lived on the top floor, directly above us, were almost killed that afternoon. The huge bakery chimney was toppled and tons of bricks crashed through the roof and their ceiling. You can still see the repaired damage in this photo I took last year. The original chimney extended substantially higher.
Houghton Apartment
Houghton Apartment
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

More on the Fitz including the possibility of waves considerably larger than 30'.
https://www.mlive.com/weather/2015/11/r ... Jh-xTVVJNw
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

I was stationed aboard the USCGC Woodrush which assisted in search for the Fitz. I reported aboard after the sinking but there was still a lot of the crew that was onboard at the time and had some great stories. I spent 8 years in the Coast Guard aboard various cutters on the east/west coasts along with Lake Superior and spent years in the Merchant Marine and have sailed in all the worlds oceans. I was only scared twice at sea. Once was in the North Atlantic in 60 foot seas with many larger in 70+knot winds and once on Lake Superior in 20 footers with 40+ knot winds and I have doubled Cape Horn in 60 foot seas but that was a piece of cake compared to the North Atlantic and Superior.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

chief54 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 pm I was stationed aboard the USCGC Woodrush which assisted in search for the Fitz. I reported aboard after the sinking but there was still a lot of the crew that was onboard at the time and had some great stories. I spent 8 years in the Coast Guard aboard various cutters on the east/west coasts along with Lake Superior and spent years in the Merchant Marine and have sailed in all the worlds oceans. I was only scared twice at sea. Once was in the North Atlantic in 60 foot seas with many larger in 70+knot winds and once on Lake Superior in 20 footers with 40+ knot winds and I have doubled Cape Horn in 60 foot seas but that was a piece of cake compared to the North Atlantic and Superior.
Thanks for your service. Quite a testament to the Superior conditions. I read a comparison between Great Lakes waves, which tend to be close together and steep vs ocean waves which are further apart and not as steep.