Bug Questions End of June

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Grizzly22
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Bug Questions End of June

Post by Grizzly22 »

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to take a trip onto the island towards the end of June, (Jun 21-25). I have heard from several people on this forum say that the bugs can be quite ferocious this time of year. I was wondering if anyone had tried pretreating their clothes with permethrin or some other insect repellent and if that makes a difference or not? I am also planning on bringing a head net and plenty of bug spray to try and combat the bugs as best as possible. Being a bug magnet myself, I hope these measures might help curb any issues with bugs that I might encounter.

Thanks for any advice you might have on keeping the bugs at bay!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Bug Questions End of June

Post by Ingo »

Yes, treat with permethrin! A lot of folks report that it's been sufficient, but somewhere I have a picture of the back of my treated shirt covered with flies, so I do bring bug dope too. But it does certainly help. And always a headnet--easy and lightweight insurance.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
BerrySlayer
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by BerrySlayer »

Treat all clothing, including socks, with permethrin with the exception of underwear, buff and anything that touches your face. Bring a head net and sun gloves the backs of which are soaked with permethrin.

I soak, some folks prefer to spray.

I won’t use DEET but have enjoyed success with products containing picaridin like Avon’s Skin So Soft. I’ve trekked all 50 states and all seven continents inter alia. The permethrin in combination with picaridin has worked well so far, enough that I stopped taking malarone, an anti-malarial, when in deeply infested areas.

You'll be grateful for the advance preparation.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

I'm a recent convert to Natrapel, which contains picaridin. It's not oily like DEET, and has a pleasant lemony smell. Works just as well.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Grizzly22
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Grizzly22 »

I will have to give those permethrin alternatives a try. I have had mixed success with pretreating clothes. the Picardin method also interests me as a DEET alternative. Thank you for everyone's advice!