weather and bugs

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

weather and bugs

Post by johnhens »

Just got back. Weather was cool and the bugs were non existant for the most part. Late Spring, seems like the weather is 2 weeks behind. Marsh Marigolds were just coming out. I did not see any calypso orchids on the Stoll Trail but spoke to others that did after we left RH. It sleeted/ snowed on us Sunday as we were tieing down the yaks in Grand Portage.
Lots of windy days!!!
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: weather and bugs

Post by trailgoat »

Snow on May 31st! That's pretty wild. No doubt it's a completely different world up there! :)
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
dqdave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by dqdave »

It's great to hear that the bugs are still in hibernation. But, snow/sleet does not sound like you were in Disney World!
sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by sgerbs »

The mosquitos and flies are out. At the beginning of our week they were not too bad, but as the week went on they got a little thicker. I'm guessing by the end of this week (6/20) they are going to be really bad. We only had problems with the bugs at S. Lake Desor, otherwise every other night you could hang out without a head net and still be all right.
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

sorry to hear that about the bugs. we go over this saturday, 6/20. 3 weeks later than last year, no bugs to speak of. half our trip will be at lakeside camps (siskiwit and hugin), so i'm hoping the breeze will keep them down. thanks for the intel
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I was out from the 3rd of June to the 7th of June this year...the black flies were terrible all over. But around 8pm when it gets cold, they disappear. Bring bug spray, no matter what.
JC_Geo
NewbieCake

Post by JC_Geo »

Bug spray is packed and ready to go. We will land in RH Monday June 22 for the week. Most of our camping is on Lake Superior campsites.
mike2000
NewbieCake

Post by mike2000 »

Can anyone recommend on what brand of bug spray to use or not to use. I don't have much experience with all day use of bug spray so I would like your opinions.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I use any brand of 100% DEET. Kinda sticky, but works, and never had much luck using lesser concentrations.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

i treat our outer clothes with the wash in type permethrin. deet or picaridin for exposed skin.
sgerbs
LNT Expert

Post by sgerbs »

I just had my wife hike in front of me to draw all the bugs, it worked great! :D
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

sgerbs wrote:I just had my wife hike in front of me to draw all the bugs, it worked great! :D
Let me guess, "You go first dear and set the pace so I don't go too fast for you" :D Are you still married :?:
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
sgerbs
LNT Expert

Post by sgerbs »

We are still married, but I'm not sure if she will ever go back to Isle Royale with me again. It wasn't the bugs, but the cold weather at night. I may have to find someone else to go with me next time. And it was good for her to set the pace because if she didn't I would go to fast for her.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I've used 3M Ultrathon (~33% Deet), REI Jungle Juice (One at around ~17%, and the 100% stuff) and the Sawyer Control Release (~20%) stuff. I think the 3M product is the best overall; cream based, not too sticky, seems to do the job. Of course, the greater the DEET concentration typically the better they do, but you need to be somewhat cautious when applying high concentrations on the skin. Most products typically will bond the DEET to a larger, non-skin penetrating particle, just to be safe.

... Of course, I'm 'genetically superior' in that I'm a rare portion of the population that doesn't swell up or itch from mosquito bites, so I've never really let it bother me or care too much.. :twisted:
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

An old sailor I met in the Apostle Islands told me about a sure fire Black Fly repelant. White vinegar works very well. Use it full strength. It only lasts for an hour or so, but works great and it's really cheap!