any recent bug reports?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Nitsirk
NewbieCake

any recent bug reports?

Post by Nitsirk »

I leave for IR in two weeks and I am trying to decide if I should spend the money on a bug shirt or not (http://www.bugshirt.com/). I don't do well with mosquitoes. I know I'd rather be safe than sorry but last time I was on IR bugs were not an issue. Of course I think we went in September that year.

Anyway, if anyone has been on the island lately or gets back soon I'd be interested to hear about the current bug situation.

Thanks!!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: any recent bug reports?

Post by johnhens »

There are a couple of reports under the weather and bugs thread.
Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Post by Nitsirk »

johnhens wrote:There are a couple of reports under the weather and bugs thread.
Doh! That's where I meant to post this, sorry. :oops: Any admins want to move this thread? Sorry about that.

Anyway, it seemed there was only one recent bug report there so I was wondering if anyone else has been on IR lately and could share too.
The Coggster
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by The Coggster »

I was there last week and they were pretty bad if there was no wind and in the valleys between ridges, and in dense woods. They were absolutely terrible at Todd Harbor and the trail along Hatchet Lake. Everywhere else they were manageable.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Those little buggers are hard to predict so if they really bother you I would bring a long-sleeved lightweight shirt, bug dope, and a cheap, lightweight headnet. You may not need any of that, but I have awakened there in the past to see the insect netting on my tent door completely covered with mosquitoes.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather