Poison ivy?

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Poison ivy?

Post by egraetze »

My prior trips to Isle Royale were in early June back in the 80s. I don't recall poison ivy during those trips, but that we still pretty early for leaves to sprout. We are going in July this year to travel the length. Is there any poison ivy on the island?
Eric
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Poison ivy?

Post by Tom »

It was once documented on the Stanley Ridge (near McCargoe Cove), although in talking with Rolf Peterson about that, he thinks that they were actually thinking of a ridge east of there. That being said, that area burned some 15-20? years ago, and from what I gather, there hasn't been a report since.
Unless you are going really off trail/backcountry in the NE corner of the Island, I'd say there is a 99.99% chance you won't encounter poison ivy.
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

Thanks for the reply. I just wasn't sure and never saw any documentation about it. I get it easy, but am also quick to identify it. Just wanted to check with all the reports of having to go around blowdowns.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

egraetze wrote:Thanks for the reply. I just wasn't sure and never saw any documentation about it. I get it easy, but am also quick to identify it. Just wanted to check with all the reports of having to go around blowdowns.
Thanks for all the updates ect!!
Did you have any problems with poison ivy?
How were the blowdowns?
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

Fortunately no sign of poison ivy. We went from Windigo to S. Desor, to Todd, to McCargoe. The only major blowdowns were between S. Desor and Hatchet. There were at least 30+ in that stretch, but I didn't count. Fortunately all had a path established around them.
Eric