Winter Study 2013

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

SamMc
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Winter Study 2013

Post by SamMc »

Is it safe to assume there will be another winter study this year? If so, about when will it begin? My family and I love following the blog.

Thanks
Fritz
NewbieCake

Re: Winter Study 2013

Post by Fritz »

I think the study usually starts in mid Feb. I look forward also to reading the blog each year. If I remember correctly, only one breeding female left and three packs down to one with a couple of loner males wandering solo.
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

last year they were on the Island in late January, need ice on the bays to land the flagship
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

John Vucetich's blog in the NewYorkTimes has begun. Google isle royale wolf (.org), and click on the Winter Study link. They hope to land on the island today. Next blog anticipated on Friday.

Very recent DNA analysis of scat suggests that 4 or 5 of the 9 wolves are female, leaving open a mystery of why only 2 of them ("west end duo") chose to copulate last winter.

I wonder if the 6 surviving Chippewa Pack members were ever able to determine the fate of the 3 that drowned in the old mine shaft/pit. Not finding their carcasses anywhere on the island, the other pack members would be left to wondering where they went, and be unable to grasp why the male alpha in particular would "abandon" them. Does that leave a psychological impact, affecting the natural interest in reproduction? I do know that I don't have a clue.

This winter's blog should be quite interesting.
Last edited by bergman on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

Here is the direct link with the first post

http://www.isleroyalewolf.org/winter-study
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Moose count is up. Lots of calves. 4 wolves on the west end, 3 on the east, so far.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

And then there were six...
I know it's early in the study, and the crew hasn't had a lot of good weather for flying (to identify the population size), but the population (absent pups on the west end being born this Spring) may be reduced to 6 in the near future. The female sighted roaming alone on the west end, just got viciously attacked when she tried to "break into" the ranks of the west end trio. For 4 or 5 days she hung out in the Huginnin Cove area, as the trio had been in that area just before she got there, but then they moved south to windigo and feldtman lake. I suspect that she hung out there, hoping they would return and then accept her company for some moose attacks and meals. I dont think she wanted to venture south where the trio had gone, as that was more in the vicinity of denning grounds, and could be taken as a threat by the trio's female. Instead she bided her time, "treading water", but then hunger dictated that she roll the dice. She headed south. The dice were cruel to her.

Why she left the ranks of the 3wolves that still belong to the Chippewa Harbor Pack is a mystery. But even if her wounds heal up, she isn't going to make it on her own. It's quite sad.
I hope I'm wrong about the numbers and Isabelle's fate. Let's hope she is able to rejoin Chippewa Pack.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Isabelle has survived two separate attacks (many days apart) from the West End duo, and today has made her way to Twelve O'Clock Point on the north shore, not too far from McCargoe Cove. Pretty amazing.

Taking into account the lone wolf tracks observed last week, there are at least 8 wolves in the population.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Isabelle attempting a kill, on her own. Gotta root for her!

If she can get this kill, and stay isolated, maybe she has a chance.

She may even happen across a "winter kill", that might sustain her.

An earlier documentation related perhaps a slight increase, of old age die-off, this season?

This drama, at least, makes the wait for the new season, tolerable. 8)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

The fate of Isabelle? To be determined later, maybe.

The winter study crew left the Isle on Sunday.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Rolf and Candy were at Canoecopia to attend the showing of George Desort's film. I had a chance to chat with them about the wolves and moose. The results of Winter Study should be posted soon.