Wolf pups on Isle Royale

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Wolf pups on Isle Royale

Post by johnhens »

Thanks to TofteTom for sharing the great news that wolf pups are present this year on IR.!!!
More from IRKPA:

WOLF PUPS on Isle Royale! Rolf and Candy Peterson heard two to three wolf pups at Siskiwit Bay on July 3 and found pup tracks on the beach the next morning. Despite this good news, concerns remain about the future of Isle Royale's wolf population. Park managers are considering three options: genetic rescue that would bring new wolves to the island to mitigate inbreeding; reintroduction of wolves to the island if they die out entirely; or doing nothing, even if the wolves disappear. You can read the researchers' rationale for supporting one of the first two options at http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/opini ... .html?_r=0 If you would like to comment on the options or have other wildlife-related comments or questions, direct them to ISRO_Wildlife@nps.gov
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Wolf pups on Isle Royale

Post by jrwiesz »

Great news; made my day. :D
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

This also was welcomed news by myself and other IR fans. Can't wait for the details.
TofteTom
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TofteTom »

The rangers were all quite excited about it. It was one of the first things our ranger mentioned to us when she met our boat at the dock. Looking forward to hearing more news about them...
kbradof
NewbieCake

Post by kbradof »

I just posted this photo from Chuck Johnson on IRKPA's Facebook page of a wolf pup paw print in the sand of Siskiwit Bay. Thanks to Valerie Martin for tracking down the photo Rolf Peterson knew Chuck had taken earlier this month.
Attachments
WolfPupTracks2_ChuckJohnson.jpg
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BlackCoffee »

So excited about this. I'll be staying at Siskiwit Bay during my upcoming trip in Sept. Great news!
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Post by greg »

What wonderful news. I was waiting to hear if there would be any pups this year. This makes my day!
Greg M. Romaneck
Trmills85
NewbieCake

Post by Trmills85 »

New to the board, took my first trip to Isle Royale in May and fell in love. Never spotted a Wolf, but had hoped to go back in the future and get the chance. This is GREAT News!!!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »