Senators want action sooner on the wolf issue

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Senators want action sooner on the wolf issue

Post by johnhens »

Good to hear political pressure is being put on the NPS to act sooner.
http://admin.duluthnewstribune.com/news ... ale-wolves
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Senators want action sooner on the wolf issue

Post by Tom »

Agreed. I was talking with folks at the Outdoor Adventure Expo, and was telling them that we're probably going to have to wait until a starving, emaciated moose stumbles into a camp and collapses in front of some children before politicians get involved.
While I don't want politicians trying to make the decision, I'm all for them trying to accelerate it. It seemed to me that with the NPS's current schedule, conveniently they could just wait out all of the possible options until only one of them remained... And then just decide the couldn't do anything, because it was too late. :oops:
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I think there have been many folks who agree that the NPS is dragging its feet. Thanks to whomever got behind contacting their Representatives and Senators about this.
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Thanks for posting this, John. Very good news the NPS is getting a little heat from lawmakers. They've had years to prepare for this situation!
"I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right."

- Henry David Thoreau
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It’s my nature to be reside somewhere between cynical and skeptical when it comes to relying upon large government bureaucracies (with or without politicians involved) to properly solve problems (granted. . . according to my definition of proper).

I wonder if these U.S. Senators have been briefed on portions of the Wilderness Act that would seem to allow for corrective action in this case. To paraphrase what I’ve researched there are statements in the law that says if humans created the problem then it can be OK to take corrective action. There are two prominent examples 1) introduction of canine parvovirus by a pet dog and 2) anthropomorphic global warming/climate change.

The cynical end of my spectrum speculates that some in the decision process might rather have the “issue” than a solution. In other words, after the wolves indeed disappear it will create a large headline to “further the cause” of climate change.

Contact information for the politicians involved thus far:

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow – Michigan

U.S. Senator Gary Peters – Michigan

U.S. Senator Mazie Hirono – Hawaii

U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich – New Mexico
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013