Public meetings and Webinars for wolf plan

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Public meetings and Webinars for wolf plan

Post by johnhens »

From the NPS:

Dear Friend of Isle Royale National Park:
I am writing to invite you to participate in upcoming open houses and webinars regarding the draft Environmental Impact Statement to Address the Presence of Wolves on Isle Royale. The public open houses will be held on February 14 and 15 from 4 - 6 p.m. A short presentation will start at 4:30 followed by a question and answer period and open house.

The open house meetings will be held at the following locations:
Duluth, Minnesota – February 14 at Pier B Resort, 800 West Railroad Street
Houghton, Michigan – February 15 at the Magnuson Franklin Square Inn, 820 Shelden Avenue

In order to maximize opportunities to learn more about the draft plan/EIS, webinars are scheduled for Thursday, February 16 from 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time and Tuesday, February 21 from 7 p.m.- 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time. For more information about the open houses and to register for the webinars, visit: http://parkplanning.nps .gov/isrowolves and click on the “Meetings” link.

In addition to the open houses and webinars, you are invited to submit written comments at http://parkplanning.nps.gov /isrowolves. Comments may also be submitted through March 15, 2017 via regular mail or hand delivery at: Superintendent Phyllis Green, Isle Royale National Park, ISRO Wolves, 800 East Lakeshore Drive, Houghton, Michigan 49931-1896.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Re: Public meetings and Webinars for wolf plan

Post by johnhens »

If anyone attends either the Houghton or Duluth meeting and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts on the meetings, that would be great. I am doing the webinar on 16th.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I sat in the on Webinar to day. I actually was a 1/2 hour late (forgot about the time difference). It was interesting, some good questions. I learned that the NPS has a study on reintroducing lynx that they are going to put up a link on the site. They will also post a recording of the webinar.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I caught the first hour. A well done and informative session. They even answered one of my questions:)

One thing I learned is that, of the two wolves still on the island, the female is exhibiting signs of mating behavior. We won't know until spring/summer if any successful mating actually happened.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

treeplanter wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:12 pm I caught the first hour. A well done and informative session. They even answered one of my questions:)

One thing I learned is that, of the two wolves still on the island, the female is exhibiting signs of mating behavior. We won't know until spring/summer if any successful mating actually happened.
Thought I saw you!!!!!! :D
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by RockRiver »

I was at the Houghton meeting Wednesday. The room was very full. It was plain that complying with wilderness regulation was a large driver of the DEIS. If the wolves decline was not a human induced change (parvovirus), NPS would quite likely not have considered reintroducing them. The preferred alternative was chosen mostly on the basis that it was the least intrusive on wilderness values. It was a fairly calm public hearing for such a hot button topic. Glad we went.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

The NPS has to be better about getting this info into newspapers earlier...they put the Duluth seminar in the newspaper only 24 hours prior to the event, so I wasn't able to attend.