Close encounters of the moose kind

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Close encounters of the moose kind

Post by Ingo »

torpified wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 am (I've been trying to imagine what it would be like to have a moose brush up against your shelter when your shelter is a tent.)
Scary as hell! Well it didn't touch the tent, but the hoof print was less than a foot from where my head was! It was eating for about an hour in the middle of the night, virtually standing over my head. Somehow I actually got some sleep after it left. Thinking about bringing a helmet this year :wink: .

Many years ago when I worked at R.H., an NPS employee walked into one at night on one of the little trails in R.H. White as a ghost would be an understatement! Had fur on his jacket for evidence.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Close encounters of the moose kind

Post by Midwest Ed »

Indeed. My canoe partner and I were at the Lake Ritchie canoe campground. He woke me up, scared as hell but afraid to talk. "Something" was making fairly loud noises all around us (mostly rustling sounds). Since we had fallen asleep listening to the wolves he thought it was one or more outside so we remained silent but in retrospect I think it would have been better to make an attempt to scare "it" away. When dawn came and we tried to exit the tent we were totally blocked by a large pile of fresh moose berries in front of the tent door. It took some doing to exit the tent.

I also had a bull moose beat his antlers repeatedly against my shelter at Washington Creek CG. He also must have somehow hooked a medium sized sapling (maybe a couple of inches in diameter) with his antlers low down. When he raised his head it stripped all the limbs and leaves. Made quite the racket.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013