Trout or salmon unique to I.R.

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

steven.vandekeere
NewbieCake

Trout or salmon unique to I.R.

Post by steven.vandekeere »

I read in a book a before my first (and thus far only) trip to I. R. that there was a trout or salmon that was unique to the inland waters of I.R. I can't remember what the name of the fish was, and more importantly, I can't remember the name of the lake is was supposed to be found in. I'm assuming it's Siskiwit Lake, but would like to know for sure. I'm planning a trip in the future to return to the island and fishing for and hopefully catching one of these fish. It is a bucket list item for me. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Trout or salmon unique to I.R.

Post by johnhens »

Lake Trout(known by various names) in Siskiwit Lake are a genetic species seperate from the Lake Trout found in Superior. There are also Lake Trout around IR in Superior that live there also and are not found elsewhere. For the most part you need a boat (canoe or kayak) to fish Siskiwit as you have to portage in. Where the stream leaves the lake near the portage, I have caught trout there sight fishing for them (once) wading. There are 4 species of Lake Trout around IR. Good luck!!