2018 wolf relocation is done.

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

2018 wolf relocation is done.

Post by johnhens »

Due to weather issues, no more wolves to be added this Fall.
https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2 ... ery-effort
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: 2018 wolf relocation is done.

Post by Midwest Ed »

I have been in the Keweenaw since Tuesday and stopped by the Park office this morning. I came up for the Autumn colors even though the weather forecast looked miserable, and it was. Cold, wind and rain every day almost all day. But the colors were the best I've ever seen except without sunlight I can only imagine how brilliant and vibrant they really were. Everything peaked out this week. Finally, yesterday the Sun came out briefly a couple of times but of course it was snowing at the time. Not just flurries but blizzardly dense so I got only weirdly strange pictures.

According to the HQ ranger the last 2 of six for this Fall were to have been harvested from Michigan whereas the first 4 came from Minnesota. Actually he told me that 10 in all were captured in order to end up with 4. This capture level is higher than needed because they want to be selective about the ones they keep regarding age, gender, health etc. Also, the average mortality rate for this type of live capturing process is typically about 3%. (He did not know if the one that died would have even passed muster.) They should be continuing next Spring.

I asked about the moose harvested for the wolves' "recovery meal". He said that 3 moose total were shot right in the Island. We both had a good time swapping stories.

I also asked what the average visitation numbers are for the final few weeks or about a month after the ferries stop running. His answer was about 200.

It's supposed to be partly sunny tomorrow but I'm already on my way home.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Thanks for sharing the info.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 pm I asked about the moose harvested for the wolves' "recovery meal". He said that 3 moose total were shot right in the Island. We both had a good time swapping stories.

I also asked what the average visitation numbers are for the final few weeks or about a month after the ferries stop running. His answer was about 200.
I did hear that the initial kill was three, a cow and two calves at Washington Creek with at least one more at Hidden Lake and there was a mention of a few more but I also don't know how much of this info was publicized.

I also assume the 200 visitors are those coming into the Houghton Visitor Center. The weather since we finished has not been very good for getting to the island in a private boat let alone trying to fish. There have been far fewer boats going this fall than in the past judging from the marina parking area so fifty boats with four people each is not likely.
It was also reported that visitor numbers to the island this season are lower than last. I find that interesting since all the concession providers were much busier this year than last. That said, the visitor numbers reported the last couple years seemed grossly overblown considering that to achieve those numbers the transportation providers could not possibly have carried that many given the capacity and calendar limitations. It makes sense that there needs to be a down year or two in order to prevent obvious over reporting of visitors.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Capt Don wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:34 pmI also assume the 200 visitors are those coming into the Houghton Visitor Center. The weather since we finished has not been very good for getting to the island in a private boat let alone trying to fish. There have been far fewer boats going this fall than in the past judging from the marina parking area so fifty boats with four people each is not likely.
Our discussion was specific about actual Island visitors via private boat or plane based on permits filed. The number he gave was also for an annual average not just this year.

One would think that with all the paperwork required and restrictions of access the visitation numbers and days stayed would be quite accurate. Interesting that it could be otherwise.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013