Should wolves be added to IR?

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Should wolves be added to IR?

Post by johnhens »

I think it is good to look at both sides of the issue.
https://theconversation.com/restocking- ... ued-100808
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Should wolves be added to IR?

Post by treeplanter »

Interesting read, but kind of a moot point. The decision has already been made and wolves have/are being moved to the Island. The big question now is whether the relocation effort will succeed.
DBYCZ
NewbieCake

Post by DBYCZ »

Hypothetical Ethics Question:

If one of these relocated wolves injures or kills a visitor, would the biologists who transplanted the wolves be culpable?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

I think we all know the answer to that, of course not, nor do I think there is a real possibility of a wolf attack. The relocation effort has expanded well beyond ethics at this point with private funding, tugging at the heartstrings to beg, yes beg, for money to save poor suffering starving wolves. Wolves that ended up in that situation by crossing the seemingly nonexistent ice bridges of old. Where does this end? What is proclaimed to be a pristine wilderness with a "hands off" management approach has now become a zoo. This snowball of a project to save wolves as the only way to save Isle Royale is just getting larger and larger and farther away from the original wilderness management plan. When is enough enough.