Wolf Transfer to proceed

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Wolf Transfer to proceed

Post by johnhens »

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Wolf Transfer to proceed

Post by Midwest Ed »

The differences in perspective between this article and the one I posted yesterday are quite interesting. One states the funding is a forgone conclusion while the other provides information that as of today the fund is only at 17% of the goal. And the news article from Duluth does not even provide any links to the fundraising efforts of the National Parks of Lake Superior Foundation.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:07 am The differences in perspective between this article and the one I posted yesterday are quite interesting. One states the funding is a forgone conclusion while the other provides information that as of today the fund is only at 17% of the goal. And the news article from Duluth does not even provide any links to the fundraising efforts of the National Parks of Lake Superior Foundation.
Pure speculation is that they either have the funds, but were earmarked for other projects and now diverted, or deep pockets behind the scenes have committed to making up any difference. Doesn't appear that the gofundme approach is going to get there by itself, does it.

The other thing I find curious is any mention of any NPS funding. Since this is a NPS project, there must be a budget for it somewhere since this was planned before the shutdown. Understand that it may not be immediately available in wake of the shutdown (and possibly another), and the urgency to relocate the wolves immediately--so is it just a timing issue? Or are there other things going on? Makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes and how the original budget will now be used.

In any case, I'm happy both the relocation and winter study appear to moving forward and hoping that holds. Kudos to the NPLSF for making them happen.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:54 amPure speculation is that they either have the funds, but were earmarked for other projects and now diverted, or deep pockets behind the scenes have committed to making up any difference. Doesn't appear that the gofundme approach is going to get there by itself, does it.
My speculative take on things is quite similar. I figure as you did that the NPLSF already had the funds but the GoFundMe was one of their methods to attempt to replenish their coffers.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH