Minnesota Moose dieing off

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Minnesota Moose dieing off

Post by johnhens »

Article in the Chicago Tribune about the demise of moose in MN. Rolf and John quoted in article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... ?track=rss

I am trying to be like fonix :)
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Minnesota Moose dieing off

Post by philranger »

John, That's a sad story. I thought the IR moose were dying off because of the tick infestation. With a record amount of snowfall in December, it's hard to believe the planet is under a "global warming" problem.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

John,

Sorry for the duplication - I just sent to an email about this. My kids tell me "global warming" isn't the problem - it is "climate change."

We are (hopefully) going to do another Troop 10 High Adventure trip To IR this July. It is up to the scouts to choose. If they don't choose IR, our family will probably go up instead. My older son and I will be the only IR vets from our fantastic 2002 High Adventure trip.

Just finished reading Winter Study by Nevada Barr. Dark story, but it was great to get me in the IR spirit. I liked A Superior Death better, maybe because we had visited many of the sites in that story. We are giving some consideration to starting at Windigo this year.

Last time, we rented kayaks at an outfitter in Copper Harbor. I see that you can rent canoes in Rock harbor. Do you know if you can rent kayaks there?
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

You can. I rented one last year for a half day. $$$$! They are heavy plastic tandems, but you can slide one seat back to make them a single. Don't know if they have spray skirts or if they let them out of Tobin Harbor.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather