Wolves and the ecosystem

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Wolves and the ecosystem

Post by johnhens »

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Wolves and the ecosystem

Post by Midwest Ed »

This article is a good summary of predator studies, mostly in the West. I was refreshing to see an author admitting that science doesn't have all the answers.

I also noticed the author mentioned the elk proof fencing installed in the Rocky Mountain National Park to protect Aspen and Willow from any browsing. I'm almost positive this installation had to be in the vast portions designated as "wilderness" under the Wilderness Act. It would be interesting to see what the rationale was at the time to circumvent the "untrammeled by man" restriction clause in the Wilderness Act, as this exclusionary clause was under great scrutiny before the Isle Royale wolf reintroduction began.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Wolves and the ecosystem

Post by johnhens »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:09 pm This article is a good summary of predator studies, mostly in the West. I was refreshing to see an author admitting that science doesn't have all the answers.

I also noticed the author mentioned the elk proof fencing installed in the Rocky Mountain National Park to protect Aspen and Willow from any browsing. I'm almost positive this installation had to be in the vast portions designated as "wilderness" under the Wilderness Act. It would be interesting to see what the rationale was at the time to circumvent the "untrammeled by man" restriction clause in the Wilderness Act, as this exclusionary clause was under great scrutiny before the Isle Royale wolf reintroduction began.
I did not see any reference to issues from the Wilderness Act. I submitted public comments when this was going on (I was working inCO at the time). I did a brief search and did not find anything addressing the issue. Good point.