Lightweight, compact binoculars

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Lightweight, compact binoculars

Post by backwoods doc »

I'm looking to replace my old 7 X 35 mm binoculars (which weigh in at 2 lbs.) with something lighter and more compact. I really enjoy using them to watch wildlife on the island, but they're awfully heavy. Any suggestions?
Last edited by backwoods doc on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Lightweight, compact binoculars

Post by Bobcat1 »

I carry Nikon Trailblazer 8x24. They are pocket size and weigh 9 oz in a light soft case. Pocket size, waterproof, not too expensive. I use them a lot for all kinds of viewing, scouting, even a little stargazing. I’ve been quite happy with them.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

have you thought about a monocular? I carry a 10x25 monocular. its only a couple of ounces and sits well in a shirt pocket. and its dirt cheap. I am looking at what looks like the same as mine on amazon for $15
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Binnoculars are like any Outdoors gear, you get what you pay for. Here is a good comparison of compact binnoculars which includes good info on what $$$ will get you. https://www.worldbirds.org/best-compact-binoculars/
I have a pair of Vortex (not compact) binnocs and a spotting scope. Vortex has a lifetime warranty. I also have Nikon Monarchs ( 2 sizes regular and compact). Like my Nikon's too. I am a birder and spend a good deal of time looking through binnoculars and the extra $$$ for better optics was worth it for me.
Most of the good compact binnocs come in at around a pound for weight. I would encourage you to go to a sporting goods store (Cabelas, Bass Pro ect) to try side by side, their binnocs. Spend the money for waterproof and fog proof optics.
Besides the moose and wolves, IR can be awesome for birds depending on the time of year. Great for butterflies too. Use them at night for stars ect. We had great views one time of the International Space Station.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I have a pair of the Vortex Vanquish in 10x26 that are nice. I think they weigh 12 ounces and I paid under $110. I carry a cheap pair of Barska 10x25s in the console of my truck that weigh around the same and set me back $15.
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

Very helpful discussion. Thanks.

I decided that I wasn't really replacing my full-size binoculars, but rather looking for something lighter/smaller to take on back-country trips. The monocular idea was intriguing, but is seemed more conducive to wildlife spotting than watching for several minutes at a time. A trip to a sporting goods store was indeed helpful.

In the end I opted for a pair of Bushnell H2O 8 X 25 compact, waterproof/fog-free binoculars. Only 12 oz, fold-up small, and surprisingly bright, sharp and easy to focus. Just $31.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC