thimbleberries

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

thimbleberries

Post by colvinch »

when is the peak time of the summer for these guys. Second week of August was great but we couldn't decide if we were early or at the end of the peak season
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: thimbleberries

Post by philranger »

We were there the last week of August 2008. Still lots of berries along the Feldtman loop. I would say the areas with more people around, the less berries you will find.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

We were there the week after Labor Day and easily picked a couple of nalgenes full in the first part of the week. By the last day they were getting scarce.
psolimyn
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by psolimyn »

thimbleberries are around all summer long but it may not seem like it. the plants are just really big and only get a couple of flowers so compared to raspberries or blueberries, you have to find a Lot of plants that are in the same fruiting phase.... which is time consuming. where i live they're everywhere but i'll still spend several hours gathering enough to make a pie or cobbler.

if you don't mind cheating, buy some thimbleberry jam from the monks in eagle harbor next time you're in the keweenaw... then spread it on a slice of walnut bread they make and wrap in a whiskey soaked cheesecloth...........
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

psolimyn wrote:thimbleberries are around all summer long but it may not seem like it. the plants are just really big and only get a couple of flowers so compared to raspberries or blueberries, you have to find a Lot of plants that are in the same fruiting phase.... which is time consuming. where i live they're everywhere but i'll still spend several hours gathering enough to make a pie or cobbler.

if you don't mind cheating, buy some thimbleberry jam from the monks in eagle harbor next time you're in the keweenaw... then spread it on a slice of walnut bread they make and wrap in a whiskey soaked cheesecloth...........

my mouth is watering.
Right now I have one jar of jam in the fridge that we got at the Hancock co-op last october, I think if you add some water to the jar you may be able to get some berry flavor out of it since I practically licked it clean