The Bugs?

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

fiatracer163
NewbieCake

The Bugs?

Post by fiatracer163 »

How bad are the bugs in mid to late August?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: The Bugs?

Post by johnhens »

It depends on how much rain has occurred and what the temps are. We did the same trip at the same time 2 years in a row. One year the bugs were not present, the next year they were horrible. Mosquitoes that is!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Last week paddling Superior shoreline, no black flies, skeeters not too bad. Didn't generally use DEET until evenings.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I usually go in late August and early September. Last year was the first time in four trips that I experienced mosquitoes. They were on the Feldtmann loop, but not bad enough to wear repellant.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
rainelde
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by rainelde »

Hi
Just returned and I can tell you that if you spray once with deet, you should be good all day till dusk. At siskiwit and feldtman we had a bit of monster mosquitos.
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

I only used deet 2times during our trip (we got back on the 6th). No flies but skeeters were bad at dusk and early morning, but if you are moving it shouldn't be a problem. They seemed to hover more then land and bite.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Just returned from an August 11-14th trip. I opted to try a repellent other than my 3m ultrathon lotion (a longtime effective favorite).

I tried a cutter brand 'non-deet' spray. Big mistake for me...while the permethrin spray I sprayed on my clothing kept the bugs away from what I was wearing, they were relentless on my skin. Stick w/ the deet products!
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -