Zebra Mussels on Isle Royale

Questions regarding the Flora and Fauna on the island.

Moderator: johnhens

head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Zebra Mussels on Isle Royale

Post by head2north »

Here is a link to the an aritcle concerning the invasive Zebra Mussel on Isle Royale. I am sure that
more information on the discovery will be released in near future.

http://www.startribune.com/local/60022682.html
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Re: Zebra Mussels on Isle Royale

Post by niners »

Last week one of the rangers mentioned to me that when they took the Winona out of the water at the end of this season, her bottom was covered in zebra mussels. Just hear say at this point. Maybe Capt. Don can fill us in.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Here's an article from the local paper on the zebra mussels on Isle Royale: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/147148/

How exactly do you get rid of zebra mussels?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Chlorination of the area will kill zebra mussels as well as hot water (about 131 degees) also works. Manual scraping will remove them also. These are methods that have been used around water intakes for municpalities and industries that draw water out of Lake Michigan. If the Zebra mussels are there, I don't know how they are going to combat them.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

I would like to fill everyone in before there is too much speculation or rumors get started on the subject of the Wenonah and zebra mussels. Let me start by saying yes, there were zebra mussles on the Wenonah when it was hauled this year, I ran the boat to the marina and was there when it came out. The statement that the bottom of the Wenonah "was covered" in zebra mussels is greatly exaggerated. Myself, the company mechanic, and the management of the marina were all present and agreed the total number would not of filled a gallon milk jug when removed. The mussels were removed in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the Wisconsin DNR at time of haul out. The Wenonah had not been out of the water for five years up until this time, it has been dove on and inspected and found to be free from mussels until this year. The decision had been made prior to this that the boat would no longer stay in the water, but rather be removed each year. When the mussels were discovered at Windigo, the park dove on and inspected the Voyageur ll, none were found, they then came to Grand Portage, dove on and inspected at great lengths the docks of both marinas in Grand Portage, again none were found. The Wennonah spends far more time at the dock in Grand Portage than at Windigo and has bumped and rubbed the cribs protruding from the dock, still none were found.. It is also imortant to note that no other boats use the dock in Grand Portage, that is not the case at Windigo.

The occurance of zebra mussels at Isle Royale needs to be put into perspective. It is ashame that they are there and hopefully will not take hold. They are in all of the Great Lakes as well as some inland lakes throughout the region, the common thought was that the waters of this area were too cold for them to make it home. As with many creatures, things adapt, at some time in the future they may thrive in all areas. It is impossible to determine how they got to the island or how long they've been there. To employ best practices to prevent the further spread of these and all invaders will go alot further than speculating on the source.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

Thanks for the real story Capt. Don. I kind of thought the story I heard may have gotten exagerated as it passed from ranger to ranger before I finally heard it. I by no means ment to imply that the Wenona was the source of the mussels on Isle Royale. I assume they got there just like they got to all the other great lakes. From the freighters and tankers carring them in from other waters.

It will be interesting to see how the park service deals with the problem and what steps they take to limit the chances of getting zebras into the interior lakes.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Glad I could get answers to you. I don't feel that anyone has implied anything on this subject. Situations like this can evoke strong emotional reactions by many. However, in going forward all people, including the park service, must put emotions aside and take a realistic approach in planning the procedures needed to mitigate the risks associated with these and all invasive species we've come to know. Broad, reactionary, heavy handed restrictions will not solve this problem. It will only end up hurting the park and its visitors. These invaders are present and as of now we can't make them go away, hopefully a way can be found to curtail the spreading and reproduction.