NewbieCake

May 27-31, 2010 "The Thriller"

Post by rbrosko »

Name: Bob & Steve
Email: bobbrosko@comcast.net
Hometown: Birmingham, MI
Arrival Date: Thursday May 27 AM, 2010
Departure Date: Monday May 31 PM, 2010
Coming From/Via: Seaplane Hancock to Rock Harbor (Get there fast to start hiking!)
Itinerary:
Day 1-Arv on Island, boat to Daisy Farm and Hike to Indian Portage trail head
Day 2-Bushwack to Malone Bay (Either XC south towards Blueberry Cove then coastline or
XC towards Wood Lake/lake Whittlesey to Malone Bay
Day 3-Malone Bay bushwack the coastline to either Hay Bay or if hiking gods permit to Siskiwit Bay or somewhere in between.
Day 4-Siskiwit Bay via the trail to Feldtmann Lake
Day 5-feldtmann Lake to Windigo; Fly off the Island!
Notes/Other: We love to hike; point to point. Buddy enjoys miles and we both enjoy a CHALLENGE. This is 3rd trip to this paradise. 2008 we did the Minong(Windigo to Rock Harbor-4 days) and 2009 we did the Greenstone (Windigo to Rock Harbor 3.5 days)
Your input on our 2010 THRILLER is appreciated; Good, Bad & Ugly.
sbarone99
NewbieCake

Re: May 27-31, 2010 "The Thriller"

Post by sbarone99 »

Ahem... I am the "buddy" mentioned above and I cannot wait for this year's trip!!!

;)
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

That sounds pretty intriguing. I've never done any bushwhacking on any trip. Please post some details when you get back, I'd be very interested to hear how your trip went. Good luck.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

We met a guy last year at Chippewa that had just come from Malone that day. I seem to recall he said he stayed South of Siskiwit Lake, crossing to the North between Wood and Whittlesey. He then pretty much followed the lakes the best he could on the North side. At your time of the year, you might beat leaf-out, or perhaps be close - So perhaps it will be easier to route find.
I think Malone to Siskiwit camp will be the hardest, I think it gets pretty swampy in that area, so you might need to find yourselves up higher up the ridge..
Good luck! Certainly tell us about it upon return!
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

Bob & Steve,

It's been a couple of months since you posted your plans. Have you checked with the Royale Air Service on your intended arrival date of Thursday the 27th? I have reservations to fly out of Rock Harbor on the 28th and I had the impression that they are only flying on Monday and Friday in late May.