Good luck to the first boaters!

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Good luck to the first boaters!

Post by Tom »

Some of you may have already started your treks toward Grand Portage for the traditional "first boat." May the seas be calm, and think of all of us back here. (I won't be heading out for a couple weeks.)
I hear there are a couple changes and news tidbits already; for one a ranger (most likely Lucas) won't get posted to Windigo until early next week, so I think the V-II will "self register" the hikers. Fortunately, most of first-boaters are return customers. Ranger Sean will not be returning to Windigo, as he has accepted full time work elsewhere, and we'll miss his smile welcoming the boat, but wish him well. Perhaps Katie will get an opportunity to be more than a volunteer. We'll see when everyone returns!
I also had the chance to meet a young gal at the Outdoor Adventure Expo (eek! Her name escapes me! I'm getting old! :oops: ) who will be working at Rock Harbor in an interpretive capacity. She's been on the island four or five times for hiking trips, and you could tell she was more than excited to have an opportunity to serve. I think she'll be a great IR fit.

So, you lucky devils :twisted: (always wanted to use that smiley), enjoy the cake, and post a Trip Report when you return!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Good luck to the first boaters!

Post by MikeT »

Tom and All,
Sitting in a Marquette, Michigan motel (halfway point for us to Grand Portage). It is always nice to finally get on the road and stop the packing and start thinking of what you possibly forgot :-) So far, thought of two things, my map (duh, it is sitting on my desk) and my binoculars. Map is covered by my wife who has hers (I have detail maps laminated of our planned routes). Binoculars are sort of covered by my camera zoom, but since we will be on the water looking for portages, it would be nice to have them around my neck. Oh well, if that is all we forgot, we will be happy.

Looking forward to another first boat. I did not call Jasper like I usually do, but am hoping him and Jay are going to be there as usual. Hopefully this time tomorrow, we will be having a pop with Capt.Don and possibly Jess (Alecto) if he finds somewhere to stay.

Will report when we hit the mainland. Scheduled for May 17th.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Jealous. Bucket Bob will also be on the boat. He's always good for a story or two.

Have a great time!

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

MikeT wrote:Tom and All,
Sitting in a Marquette, Michigan motel (halfway point for us to Grand Portage). It is always nice to finally get on the road and stop the packing and start thinking of what you possibly forgot :-) So far, thought of two things, my map (duh, it is sitting on my desk) and my binoculars. Map is covered by my wife who has hers (I have detail maps laminated of our planned routes). Binoculars are sort of covered by my camera zoom, but since we will be on the water looking for portages, it would be nice to have them around my neck. Oh well, if that is all we forgot, we will be happy.

Looking forward to another first boat. I did not call Jasper like I usually do, but am hoping him and Jay are going to be there as usual. Hopefully this time tomorrow, we will be having a pop with Capt.Don and possibly Jess (Alecto) if he finds somewhere to stay.

Will report when we hit the mainland. Scheduled for May 17th.
<walks over and grabs map from desk, puts in bag>
Found a place to crash so I'll look for you guys at the bar I guess? Now the fun part... try to settle down enough to get to sleep so I can get up nice and early and hit the road.
|| Jess ||
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

Looking forward to hearing from Mike T. I still owe him a 'pop' from Friday night (which was a very good time). Hard to imagine a trip that long I'm so used to 3-6 day jaunts. Last time I saw him was at McCargoe and they looked ready to rock.
|| Jess ||
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

You owe us nothing. We enjoyed the evening as well. As not to hog my husbands "air time", I will keep this short until he posts.
It was nice meeting you Jess!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info