Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: May 1st - May 8th 2012 Trip Report

Post by Rafiki »

May 4th Friday (Part II)

On the way back to McCargoe, I entered a darkly forested area that got me a little creeped out, because I thought if I were a hot moose, this is where I would want to hang out and cool off. I was just waiting for one to rustle at me from the trees. Speaking of being creeped out, I was pretty scared of a flapping piece of white birch tree bark that was flapping above my head. I thought a red squirrel was trying to ambush me from above.

When I got back to camp I killed the last 10oz of my water and went down to the dock to filter 2 bottles and some water for the bpot I was about to boil my lunch in. While I was filtering water, there was a severe wind blowing in from the north. As I was packing up my filter, I almost lost my MSR filter bag to the wind. It tumbled on the dock and I caught it a short distance from the edge. That would have been a bummer because the cleaning pad that I use to clean off the filter would have blown away wit it, and then what would I haved to clean the thing, my finger nails or leaves? lol It took me 110 pumps to fill the first bottle and 105 pumps to fill the second bottle. The first one probably took longer because it took a while for the water to make its way up to the filter.

In my return to the shelter, I had my dehydrated meal and 3 handfuls of cheddar pizza crackers. After I ate, I cleaned out the pot and filtered another bottle of water. While I was filtering, I saw a loon diving around the dock. Last year I actually saw one dive under the dock. That was quite a sight. I was hoping he would spring in front of me so I could take a close up picture, but ever time he dove, he just kept getting further and further away. It took 105 pumps to filter this particular bottle of water.

When I got back, I thought about how the Voyageur would be making her first trip to the island and how she might make a stop at McCargoe. If she stops at mcCargoe, I think she is due to be at the dock at 11am central/12pm eastern. I would like to get a move on it early tomorrow so that I can get to the Todd Harbor shelter before anyone else does. I thought about how 2 years ago I met a really nice fella named Jerry Oliver at McCargoe Cove. He stayed in Shelter 4, the one I concidentally stayed at this trip, and share his Northern Pike catch with me. He said he usually comes on the Voyageurs first trip each year and stays at either McCargoe or Chippewa Harbor. Since I won't see if hes on the boat, I will at least leave him a note in the shelter and hope that he gets it.

Returning to my thoughts on Todd Harbor, if some is already at the shelter, I will ask if I can stay with them for one night. If they say no, its off to Windigo for me, which means I have to leave extra early to assure myself enough tome to get to Windigo before dark. If the person says yes, then I will stay for an evening and then leave for Windigo on the following day. If I get to Todd Harbor and no one is there, then I'm going to stay there for two nights and leave for Windigo. Being that I learned the tent that I bought is not free standing, even though it is from REI and you can make a return under any circumstance, I still would rather not use it and have it placed back on the shelf in an unused state. Plus I really don't care to set up a tent either. Another concern that entered into my mind was what if I woke up on Monday, provided that I stayed at the shelter for two night, and I find myself looking at a rainstorm from the shelter. Wouldit be safe to take the Minong back to Windigo? Maybe if its not lightening and thundering, if it is, then I think I should take the Greenstone to Windigo. I like the idea of the Minong as it is because Shelly and I will be walking parts of the Greenstone in both July and October and I dont want to be sick of it at that point. On top of that, so far one of my favorite treks on the island is between Todd Harbor and Little Todd Harbor. Also, I would liketo think I will not encounter any moose on the Minong ridgeline. The crappy part about the Minong is that it might be hard to find the trail at times and I don't like situations like those where you meet delays due to difficulites finding the trail.

After thinking about my future plans for the coming days, I decided to hike over to the Minong Mine. I left at 4:25pm. Within minutes I had to take a 2 minute break because my shoe was killing me again in the same spot on my left foot big toe area. I loosened the laces but it did not do much. 14 minutes later, the path split and there was no marker to suggest which way to go. I remember there being a marker that stated where the Minong Mine was even though my instincts wanted to go to the left because the Minong mine is to the left. However, since there was no marker, I went to the right because it looked like the more frequented path and the other looked less traveled upon, as though it almost could have been made by a bushwacker. I walked for about 5 minutes and realize .8 miles would have come up by now with how I have been calculating my pace lately. Therefore the trail that was not marked had to be the Minong Mine. This is what I told myself, but of course was not certain. On my 5 minute walk back to the intersection, I encountered a gartner snake and he was alive and fiesty. I picked him up and took a picture with him. Actually a couple of them because I wanted to get one with his tongue out. After 3 tries, I finally got the shot I was looking for. In the prcoess, he probably crapped on my hands three times. When I put him down, I expected him to scurry away as quickly as possible, but instead what did he do, he went into striking position! I was like no way, this gartner snake is totally bluffing me with this look of no fear in his eyes and head ready to spring forward, but sure enough he striked me and bit onto my glove. I jumped back as he clang on with his mouth until he let go and fell to the ground to go where ever he had planned for the evening.

I made a right onto the path I debated about taking. I was on it for 5 minutes when I started to wonder if this was even a path that led to anywhere in particular let alone the Minong Mine. I begun doubting this was the path and thought that the Minong Mine would just have to wait for a future trip and that I probably would have bumped intothat marker I remebered on my trip to Todd Harbor tomorrow saying to myself "If I had just gone a little further." However, low and behold, I saw the boardering of a railcar and then another rail car boarding with a wheen in it. Pft, some mine I thoughtto myself. They didn't even have a mine to speak of like we noticed at other places that we've walked along the trail or for that matter one like at Todd Harbor called Haytown Mine. Regardless, I walked along a corridor of rocks and then checked out a lake at the bottom of the min are before heading back home.

On the way back, I thought about my girlfriend and how excited I will be to finally hear from her once I get into my car and hop on my cell phone. I can't wait to get all happy to hear her voice. I should get back around 3pm eastern, I hope she can sneak in a phone call at work which would be 2pm central, if not, I guess it I'll just have to drive a couple of hours in eager anticapation for her phone call. It took me 13 minutes to get back to the campgrounds one I returned ot the fork in the trail. It was going on 5:37pm

Back at the shelter, I had another dehydrated meal for dinner. I rinsed out my pot and heart monitor chest strap and ate 4 handfuls of trail mix before laying down on my pad and reading. Lights went out at 10:55pm. Today I hiked a total of 8.6 miles. I had an average heart rate of 111bpm. I had a Max heart rate of 147bpm. I burned a total of 1315 calories while hiking. I realized from Alectos pictures from his trip report, that while I saw some of the Minong Mine, I did not see all of it from some of the things that were visible in his pictures. This will be talked about during my May 5th report, but let it be confirmed that the unmarked trail did not take me to the same place that Alecto went. Its neat to know that it appears as though fragments and remnents of the mine are scattered throughout the area and not just off of the offically trail marker. I will be sure to post pictures of what I saw under this particular day.

My encounter with a fiesty garter snake:

My experience at Minong Mine:

343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I think you need a new water filter before you make any more trips.

Sent from my GT-P7310
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm guessing you must have taken the "old" path to Minong Mine, which splits on the low side of the hill. It still gets you there, but comes in on the East. The "new" path (which I thought was well marked; maybe you found it the next day on your way to Todd) comes in from more of the North, but it's up the trail further than most maps suggest...

A very detailed trip report, by the way. I always enjoy 'times' as it helps me recall how long I should expect to get between sites. I personally think spring is better than fall, btw, if only because the days are so much longer. That getting-dark-at-7pm stuff in September is boring. :P

Oh, and you ARE putting the tables back out of the shelters, like a good little NPS minion, aren't you?!? :shock:
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

fonixmunkee wrote:I think you need a new water filter before you make any more trips.

Sent from my GT-P7310
Excellent TR, can't wait for more.
I would agree that you may need a new ceramic filter. You should not have much resistance while pumping with a clean filter and if your bottles are pressurizing which I have seen with my friends MSR you need a new filter
I have the MSR miniworks and I think it takes me around 75-80 pumps. I also clean off the ceramic after I fill bottles, but I'm usually filling about 5 liters each time.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Leeblue:

Thank you for your compliments. Glad to hear you are enjoying reading this. I hope that if you are planning a trip this year that you will provide me with the juicy details on yours.

Fox and Colvinch:

When I clean it, on the first liter of water it filters, 80 smooth and easy pumps. However, after its first liter it usually jumps and stays at 100-110 pumps for about 3-4 liters of water judging on water conditions. It is not like I have to white knunkle the handle to get the water through the filter, but there is some pressure that needs to me given. I thought this was normal, I mean there should be some sort of resistance when getting the water to go through the filter, no? After I am done and unscrew the pumping mechanism from the filter contraption, there is definitely a sound of pressure being released like a bottle of pop being opened for the first time. I thought this noise was normal, because I believed that pressure was the operating force that got the water through the filter. I have a MSR miniworks just like you Colvinch. Do you guys still find this to be an issue? I don't think the water conditions are wretched. Things were consistent like this all throughtout my trip.

Tom:

I have to be honest with you about something, but first some comments on what you said. First, I am glad you enjoy my list of times. I like making it a point to take note of when I arrive at certain places so that I can make precise itineraries in the future and know that I should arrive at the points I plan to be at near the estimated times I have documented. On easy terrain like the greenstone, I'll average 3 miles per hour. On semi-easy trail conditions like the rock harbor trail, I got about 2.75 miles per hour. On terrain like the Minong, I will go at about 2.25 miles per hour, but a little over 2 miles per hour on the section between Little Tood and North Desor. I could go faster, but things become less enjoyable. When I am with my girlfriend, usually everything drops by a mile per hour. This is probably because we take a lot of water breaks so it slows down our momentum. Not a low blow to her by any means, it just goes to show you that even though I do not usually get thirsty easily, its probably best having her around just to I get fluids in me when my body leads me on to believe that they are not necessary.

On the note of fall compared to spring, you make an excellent point. I do enjoy the longer daylight hours. That is a hard thing to top. Although, as a teaser to my....we will just all it my "could have been better day" that will be discussed soon...I definitely did not like being the first person on the Minong this season for reasons of having difficulities seeing the trail. Its a great story, just wait and see. Other than doing the Minong first thing in the spring, I guess I would not mind being the first on any of the other trails in the spring.

And now for the part I really hate to admitt. For that reason I write it really small, I did not bring the picnic tables back outside. My only hope is that the next person that came along wanted their picnic bench inside. If not, then my hope is that other shelters are available with the picnic outside. Out of curiousity, is it illegal to bring them inside? I know rangers have come to our shelters before in the past and not brought up our shelter being inside. My imaginations suggest to me that you brought this up because it is courtesy to bring it back outside after you leave? I hope I am not doing an illegal act. I would be so mad if I got a ticket for something like this due to being naive on the law. So please, if it is now allowed, let me know. And I apologize if it irriates you that I did not bring the picnic bench back outside.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

Very detailed reporting. In fact it's extremely detailed. The bowel movement descriptions were probably a bit more than I needed to know. I figure that you could have at least included graffiti descriptions from the 'facilities'. :lol:

Not to be harsh, but personally, I like to invest the energy to drag tables out of the shelters.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

May 5th Saturday (Part I)

Ihad the worst sleep ever last night. It was not as bad as last year when I got sun poisoning on the day before leaving for Todd harbor, but it is definitely second on my list of worst sleeps at Isle Royale. My feet were so freaking cold. Everything else was as toasty as could be, but my feet were like popsicles. What I should have done was just put on a second pair of socks, but I thought it was only a mtter of time before my feet would naturally warm up on their own. Well that sure in the hell didnt happen. so there my feet were all cold and frozen and I force myself into a fetal position so they are on the mat and in close to me. The mat is small so I really had to rollie-pollie myself into a ball. When I lay straight on it, the pad goes from my head to the back of my knees. My feet eventually feel like they are getting warmer so I thought they could substain the warmth that had been given to them by my body while I was in the duck and lets pretend its a tornado drill at school position.

Wrong again. This tme I am half asleep / half awake so I am not thinking about the extra socks, insread my body reverts back to the balled up position that provided them with warmth and it is back to sleep for me. Well it turns out that my body doesn't like being in that position for long. So all throughout the night I am doing the head-shoulders-knees-and toes song in my sleep. The knees and toes part when my feet are cold and the head and shoulders part when my body just cannot take being in that damned balled up position.

I kept switching back and forth so much that eventually my pad and pillow slid all the way up to the head of the shelter until I bumped my head at a certain point in the night when shifting back into a ball! It's bad enough that I occassionally forget that the ceilings are slanted and I walk my forehead into a place I should be ducking at thoughout the day, but its even worse when you drag your feet forward in the middle of the night which leads you to realize your pad is sling upwards, and so to compensate, you slash yourself forward to catch up with your pad and lillow with as much foce as you can only to thunk your head into the way (talk about a run on sentence). Nothing tops it, because all of a sudden you come to and are like why is my head in such excurciating pain. Actually something does top it. For the rest of the night I had dreams about sleeping in my car trunk and asking myself why are you doing this to yourself, go lay in bed you idiot. There was even a point that after the car dream played out, I thought I was sleeping in a coffin.

Long story short, horrible night of sleep and the was no way in hell I was going to wake up at my alarmed time of 6:45am. Instead, after abusing the crap out of the snooze button, I finally woke up at 7:25pm. Immediately, I began arranging things for my departure. I started with stuffing my sleeping bag away, deflating my pad, and stuffing both of them along with my pillow into my bag. Things went into my bag like puzzle pieces after that as I moved from one thing to another. I brushed my teeth. Rinsed my hands. Wrote Jerry Oliver a letter in case he came on the Voyageur today.

Being my usually cognitively complex self, I began wondering if the Voyageur would make a special stop at Todd Harbor for someone that wanted to spend the next month lounging at a particular campsite like Jerry Oliver and his friend do ever spring and fall. I was almost certain that the Voyageur was due to arrive at McCargoe at 12pm eastern time. If that were the case, if there was a special stop requested at Todd Habor, it would most likely arrive at Todd Harbor around 11:30am eastern time. Upon eating a granola bar before leaving, it was going on around 9am. I thought to myself, I've got 6.6 miles to walk. I know that it took me about 15 minutes to hike from the West Chickenbone/Hatchet Lake/East Chickenbone marker to the portage point between it and East Chickenbone. It would me about 19 minutes to talk from the portage point to East Chickenbone/Daist Ferm marker. Each is about .8 miles, but if you add them bot together you get 1.6 miles. So Idid about 1.6 miles in about 34 minutes. This would lead me to belive that I can hike an average of about 3 miles per hour. The .8 miles I did on my way back from the Minong mine yesterday only took me 13 minutes. So let's pretend the trip to Todd is really 6.8 miles. If that were the case, it should only take me a little under 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there, but we'll say 2.5 hours because the terrain is a little rougher. So whats 2.5 hours plus 9:00am? 11:30am. HOLY CRAP!!! If my assumptions are correct, I have to leave now, because that is what time the voyaguer might hypothetically make its unscheduled visit to Todd Harbor and I have to beat anyone who hopes to claim the shelter in case they are not comfortable with allowing me to say in it for a night with them. And if I hadn't already mentioned it, I bought a tent that was not freestanding, so I did not have the inentions of keeping it. Therefore, I was having a moral dilemma about using it and returning it and much prefered not to use it at all so I could have a clear conscience.

Well, before you knew it, I was on my merry way. And within 1 minute of my journey, my big toe on my left foot was killlllling me again!!! I forgot to mention that before I left, I put mole skin on my left big toe and on the backs of both my ankles. The big toe as you know was being pinched by my boot leather folding into it. The ankels were starting to get raw. There were no blisters, butthey were severely reddened with all the friction of my boot rubbing against them. Something had to be done for them, otherwise I think I would have my skin sanded away by the boot and gotten an infection. Of course, there was always the possibility of a blister too. While the mole skin seemed to be doing a well enough job on my ankles, it was doing absolutely nothing for my big toe.

The only way I was going to get anywhere was if I hobbled and even that was bothersome. Something had to be done. I loosened the boot towards the front, but that didn't do anything. The leather was still going inwards. In order to prevent this from happening, I chewed down a piece of twig to stick in between both sides of my boot at the bottom of the tongue line. I wedged it in there to serve as a brace that would prevent the leather from caving inwards. I retighened the laces to see if I could observe the leather buckling, but everything looked like it was working with the twig placement. And in the long run, than god, that little twig did the trick. It took 6 minutes to figure out a remedy, but after leaving at 9:07am, I was back on my way at 9:13am. I got to the point split left to the Minong Mine and right to Todd Harbor at 9:27am. Low and behold, I got to the Minong Mine Marker at 9:33am. HA HA HA. I walked for 5 minutes past the unmarked split only to find out that if I would have only walked for one more minute, I would have reached the marker that I thought no longer existed. Oh well, somehow or another, the unmarked path took you to the same place in the long run (this was what I thought at the time, and I still kind of assume the same, but I did miss out on some of the things Alecto took pictures off on his trip report...maybe I just need to search better next time. Either way I will follow the marker rather than the unmarked path on my next trip).

Continuing on, I gotto the one and only boardwalk I experience on my hike at 10:42am. This should be considered the just over halfway point. I arrived at Todd Harbor at 11:53am, so a little longer than I expected even with the 6 minute break to readjust my boot. My goal was to get there at 11:30am. We all know the reasoning for this, but let me fill you in on the news after I tell you a little bit about the hike to Todd Harbor.

There were two trees I had to crawl under, one I had to walk around (there was no going over or under it with how thick it was), and three or four I had to climb over. I did not see any wildlife except for a snowshoe rabbit, and even then, I only saw its tail and butt as it was hopping through a pile of broken trees. I wanted to pass the time so I played the I'm going to the grocery store game by myself. I promised myself that I would only use one word foods and that the foods could not be the proper name of a company that made them. Everything was fine and dandy for quite sometime. I was going to the store to get apples, brownies, carrots, dates, eggs, flour, greek yogurt (I realized only two hours after starting the game that I cheated by greek yogurt being two words. And yes I played the game for two hours. One single game, not many, just one game. It will make sense for those of you that are familiar with the game), honey, ice cream (I just noe realized I cheated again with this choice because it is two words, oh well to hell with it, its not like I finished the game anyways), jelly, kale, lemons, marshmellows, nuts, oragnes, pineapple, Q... for the longest darned time I struggled with this one.

I wanted to say Q-tips, but that was a compant name and not a food item. I wanted to say Quaker oatmeal, but that was a company and two words. I wanted to say Quenchers, as in Quenchers gum, but that is the name of the company that makes it. The few other things that I could think of did not make sense, broke rules, or were alternatives of things I already tried to cheat with. For instance, instead of Quaker Oatmeal, I wanted to use Quaker Life Cereal. For a full hour and a half, I tried to think of an item that begun with Q while occassionally thinking about a couple of other things that were unrealted to the game, because I was so frustrated by the game. As I reached thed hour and a half point, I said screw this I'm cheating and just using Quaker Oatmeal. Then I got mad and was like screw that, I don't even want Quaker Oatmeal. If I wanted oatmeal I would have brought it on this trip. I'm not getting oatmeal at my store game. Furthermore, Quaker Life cereal sound weird, Q-tips still are not food, and I'm beyond quenchers gum because it loses its flavor to quickly. I'm not picking any of those. And just as I'm all in my fit of anger, an ingredient in one of my dehydrated meals rings a bell. It was in one of the first entrees I that on my trip. It was something like Quiona or something like that. Ok so....pineapples, quiona, raisins, steaks, tuna, ugli fruit (a double word, but one could just refer to it as Ugli), veal, walleye pike (another double freaking word), x...X!!! What the hell am I going to think of for X?!? I don't want Xtra gum, andwhats Y going to be? Yams?!? I don't want yams. And Z? Pft, the only thing thats coming to my mind is zoo crackers and we all know they are really called animal crackers to which both are two words. This is when I offically quit the game. Thankfully 15 before arriving at Todd Harbor.

The only picture I have as I make my way to Todd Harbor:

Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Gimp:

Ya. I didn't think anyone really needed to hear about my bowel movements. I am pleased to inform you that I dropped the kids off at the pools several more times, all to which were omitted from my report there afterwards.

I took pictures of all of the graffiti that I thought was creative or humorous. Pictures will be posted on those after I conclude my report.

My apologies to you, just like how I extended them to Tom, if it aggravated you to read that I did not bring the picnic bench back outside.

Tom:

So as you can see from Part I of my May 5th trip report, you were correct, if I would have traveled just a bit further, I would have hit the Minong Mine Marker. Let that be a lesson to the rest you kids reading this :) I will keep this is mind in the future.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm just razzin' ya on the tables. It would be hypocritical of me to say that I haven't enjoyed a table or two inside a shelter, especially during a storm or heavy insect times. For me, I "leav'em as I see'em."
The reasons for that are two fold. For one, while I'm not sure it's illegal, per se, but I know the rangers don't like them inside, and will move them out when possible. I think they want to maximize on sleeping space. I once helped Ranger Valerie move a few out while at Washington Creek, and then a couple years ago we were at Malone the first boat week. We were the second group to use the shelter, and we even picked that one because it was just two of us, and the table was already inside. When Ranger Jeremy arrived, he did ask us to move it back out when we left... Which brings up reason two I leave them where I find them: Those buggers are heavy! Honestly, a person could get hurt moving them...

Back to your TR: I'm starting to enjoy this "Madness of Rafiki" subplot that is forming. Can't wait to see how it ends!
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Tom:

Glad you were only giving me grief Tom. As a person who I see constantly helping others with questions and with trail advice, I highly respect you as a forum member and would never hope to do anything that you would find offensive, selfish, or inconsiderate. Now back to my madness as you coined it :)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

May 5th Saturday (Part II)

SO I GOT THE SHELTER!!! I was so excited, there were not any surprise Voyageur trips. There was nobody around. It was all mine :twisted: The ony bad news was that the picnic table was outside, but I wasn't about to harp over that. To celenrate I drank most of what was left of my water and had 2 handfuls of cashew pineablle cranberry trail mix along with a granola bar. Afterwards, I proceeded forward with bringing the picnic table inside and laying out my sleep setup along with everything else where I normally store it in the shelter. I figured now would be a good time to go filter some water and ended up filtering 2 1/2 bottles, I say half because I pured half a bottle into my pot for dinner. According to my map, it takes .1 miles to walk to the dock and since I had to walk there and back, I'm counting that .2 miles towards my total miles for the day. I will count it again if I go to filter water there tomorrow. It took 115 pumps for each bottle. So the amount of pumps rose slightly, but I do not think this water will give my filter much problems with how clear it is from my view on the dock. I can see to the bottom of the water, unlike McCargoe which looked a little murky compared to previous years. Speaking of this dock, I don't think the Voyageur could come here even if it wanted to with how shallow the waters are on this particular occassion. I could be wrong, but just my thoughts.

I headed to the haytown mine after I replenished my water supply. I left at 1:14pm. It took me 4 minutes to walk from the .2 mile post representing the distance to Haytown mine. The marker is 50 steps away from the shelter up to your left. I explored the area for about 40 minutes and walked back to the shelter at 1:56pm. I arrived back at the .2 trail marker at 2:00pm. About an hour later after looking at the shelter graffiti (nothing to interesting), I snacked on 2 handfuls of wasabi trail mix, 2 handfuls of pistachios, and 1 handful of dried cherries. For much of my time after that I did a bunch of writing. At around 6:35pm, I began boiling water for my dehyrated meal. Once I polished off dinner, I washed my pot and heart rate monitor strap. I moved onto flossing and brushing my teeth after eating 2 handfuls of walnut cranbeery trail mix, 2 handfuls of cheddar pizza crackers, and 4 peach slices.

Throughout the day I was expecting that a person from the voyageur would come my way from McCargoe, but I haven't seen anyone yet and its going on 8:47pm. I don't think I will be seeing anyone. It's beautiful at this moment in my shelter. The sun is going down and removing itself from the clouds which have been blocking it during the last half of the day. I want to go outside and take a picture, but I already have my picnic table propped against the door as a safety precaution during the night. I don't want to make a bunch of racket at this time of evening even though there is no one else around. It was pretty nice about a half hour ago when the sun surprised me out of nowhere as I was writing. It was descending fromthe clouds when a bunny decided to start feeding in front of my door. What a perfect end to a fantastic day. I'm going to enjoy the rest of this sunset. Goodnight.

Today the lights went out at 9:45pm. I hiked a total of 7.2 miles. My average heart rate was 110bpm. My max heart rate was 140bpm. I burned 1103 calories.

My boot probelm and quick fix:

Picture from the shelter as the sun is going down at Todd Harbor:

Self-reflection from the Todd Harbor dock:

Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

This is exacly how the entry was documented in my journal for May 6th:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 6th Sunday

THE DAY FROM HELL!!!

(Go ahead...look at the reverse side to review statistics and read more about it on my Monday entry.)

The reverse side of the page found below.

Food eaten: 2 granola bars and a handful of trail mix.

I hiked a total of 23.3 miles today, actually more than that, but this is the offical number. My average heart rate was 125bpm. My max heart rate was 166bpm. I offically burned 5556 calories, but probably well over 6000 calories for certain reasons you will learn about later. I was on the trail for 13 hours.

Lights Out: Around 9:45pm (was too sick to actually look, so take this as an estimate)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a teaser I will write out the first two pages of my my May 7th entry, but will have to get to writing the rest of it tomorrow, because I have several things I must tend to before going to bed tonight.

May 7th Monday (Prologue)

Let me start by saying that of the many shelters I had the chance to admire graffiti in (I know admire is a subjective term, because not all who encounter the graffiti enjoy reading it as much as I do. In fact, most would probably prefer that it not be in the shelters at all. So my apologies ahead of time for a difference in opinion that we might have on this note), most, if not all of them, had one thing in common. They all had people representing their trips as some kind of "tour".

For instance, I believe it was at Todd Harbor that someone wrote: "The Imagine There are No Blisters Tour" with their names and date placed underneath. In another shelter, someone wrote something lame like "The Solo Stoner Tour". Everywhere I was looking, someone had made it a point to do some kind of tour while they were on Isle Royale. I refused to go any so called "tours". My trip was just what it was, a trip. It was not a backpacking adventure, it was not a retreat, and it certainly was not a tour. Yet, if someone on the outside, one of these tour fanatics in particular, was looking in on my trip during this particular day, I am sure he or she could come up with a slue of tour names.

Here are some names that would probably come to mind: "The Seriously You're Going to Die Tour", "The I Don't Want to Drink Yellow Water Tour", "The Dude Where's North Desor Tour", "The Wish I Had a Compass Tour", "The Damn I Don't Remember This Trail Being So Long Tour", "The Let's Go Without Water for 4 Hours Tour". "The Hawk is Going to Steal My Hat Tour", No, actually its "The Hawk is Waiting for Me To Die Tour", "The There's No Place Like Home Tour", "The Moose That Didn't Want to Move Tour", "The OH MY GOD I'm So Nervous I'm Going To Crap Myself Tour"', "The 5,550 + Calories Tour", "The I Think I Just Missed Lake Desor and Am Looking at it From the Ridgeline Tour", "The Yep, I Definitely Missed North Lake Desor Tour", "The Why Isn't This Trail Marked Better Tour", "The I'm Really Going to Have to Camp Out in the Wilderness? Tour", or "The I Can't Wait for Running Water Tour." These are all guesses as to how someone would classify my trip.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

What kind of socks or socks and liners do you wear? I seldom have problems with my feet. Just curious if your foot/feet issues are not all because of the boot(s).
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Jerry:

I wear Smartwool socks. As far as the toe box area pain is concerned, that was definitely brought on to the crease in the boot leather pushing downwards. As far as the ankle irritation is concerned, more on that later after I finish my trip report. Unfortunately, that problem ends up getting a little worse, or perhaps a lot worse, I cannot be certain of anything at this current moment. I'd love advice from forums members once the details are revealed throughout my next postings.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

May 7th Monday (Part I): Will discuss much of what occured on May 6th Sunday [Day From Hell], and once through outling Sunday, I will move into the specifices of the actual Monday at the end.

Let's begin with what Sunday was all about by rewinding to Saturday night. Saturday night I began thinking to myself, I knew that now that I had gotten the shelter at Todd Harbor, I wanted to stay there for two nights and leave straight for Windigo on Monday for my ferry ride back home on Tuesday. That was the plan from the beginning and during my trip. However, at night I began rethinking everything. I thought to myself, what am I going to do at Todd Harbor for another day? I've seen everything, and while I could technically read and write all day as I was planning to do, what am I really going to write about with being a hermit in the shelter. While there is reading that I could do as well, I know that I would get ansy looking at a book for more than a couple of hours with having hiked around on all of my other days even when I was not moving to a new campground.

It became obvious to me that staying at Todd Harbor really wasn't the right plan for me. On top of that, I knew I was going to get an early start on bed and that would allow me the opportunity to get up early. Combine that with Saturday's weather being decently warm and partly sunny, I could only hope the same would apply tomorrow (Sunday). Then there was also the fact that I knew I shouldn't have sleeping problems with wearing double socks and having the padding of my backpack underneath my feet to provide them with support. And there was always a chance that Monday's weather could be horrible and have me dreading my trek to Windigo. This was not to say that when I woke up Sunday morning it was not improbable for there to be a chance of rain either, but at least I would know that if this were the case, I could always delay my trip until Monday with the hopes of improved weather. In the end I told myself, if I wake up to nice weather on Sunday, it will mean that its time to head over to Windigo. If I wake up and it looks crumby out, then Windigo will wait until Monday.

I set my alarm for 5:15am just before lights went out at 9:45pm. I woke up at 5:24am after a couple of snoozes. Low and hehold, the weather looked great. The plan called for WIndigo. On a side note, I was kind of welcoming Windigo too. I liked the idea of running water and not having to filter my own. I liked the idea of seeing some people and sharing a smile. As it would turn out, I would not have seen a person for over 5 days, 124.75 hours if you want to be specific, by the time I returned to Windigo. At Todd Harbor I would be stuck reading, at least at Windigo I could be checking out more shelter graffiti and visiting the Ranger Station. So with finally being able to see some people and with more things to do, Windigo was really the hands down selection.

Back to Sunday morning. I get up and pack everything up to go and move onto filtering water at 6:30am. I filter 1/2 bottle of water to drink right away even though I am not thirsty, but realize I should be well hydrated for this long day. Then I filter a whole bottle to go with the one I already have back at camp. Whereas on other days, I wonly left maybe with a bottle or bottle and a half of water, I knew that today was going to be exceptionally long and that if I did not plan on filtering anymore water along the way, I better have these two bottles filled to the brim. These bottles are said to hold 32oz, at least that is what the measurement along the bottles show, but when completely full, they really hold 36oz. So essentially I had 72oz of water for my trip to Windigo. Not enough for most people, and somewhat dangerous according to what a doctor would probably recommend a hiker to drink while covering such a vast distance over rugid terrain like that which would be experience between Little Todd and North Desor, but I'm a camel on the trail and don't get extremely parched at any given moment.

I departed at 7:15am. As stated, the weather was looking good and I got a fair share of sleep. Although, I did have a bad dream, which I will not go into because it was neither funny or interesting. It just involved my new car getting in a wreck. I made it to the Little Todd/Hatchet Lake intersection when the marker is located in 30 minutes. So at 7:45am. I take a 5 minute break to take some pictures.

At 9:10am, I realize I have to take an emergency, out of nowhere, dump and its the kind thats not going to wait!!! I immediately drop my bag, race through the trees away from the trail with trowel in hand, dig a cathole as quickly as possible, yank my pants down, and let the pancake batter rip. Ya, for the record, cause I know you all wanted to know, that was the consistency of it. It's all that dang fiber I've been eating while on the trip. While stopping, I took off my rain jacket that I have been consistently wearing even when its not looking like rain so that just in case it rains, I won't have to stop to dig in my packe, have a handful of trail mix, a swig of water, readjust the twig that looks like it wants to pop out of my boot, and attach my camera to my sternum strap. This whole affair took 24 minutes.

About 10 minutes after relieving myself, so around 10:09am, I hear a racing of water to the right of me. I become so interested by it that I cut off the trail to seek out the sound of the noise. It turns out that if you cut over directly to the right of this tree with a painted red square on it, there is a beatiful stream of water that is zipping down the terrain that surronds it which is heavily slanted. Throughout the process of going to scale the sloped earth to get a better view of the stream, I almost fell sliding my way down, luckily I caught a shrub that was sticking out on one occassion and on the other, I was able to jam one of my hiking poles down quick enough to stop my momentum and prevent myself from doing summer-saults. I took a couple of pictures and a video or two, but don't think any of them will serve justice to how amazing the sight actually was from the perspective of someones eyes actually looking at it. Without much time to spare with my surprise doodie eariler in the day, it was off in search of the Little Todd/North Desor intersection. My whole off trail affair took about 20 minutes.

I got to the Little Todd/North Desor marker at 10:37am. It was tumbled over so I had to readjust it so that the Todd Harbor arrow pointed in the direction I had just come from. As suspected, and as remembered, Lake Desor required me to veer tothe left and Little Todd would require me to go straight-foward. It was off to the left for me, and not soon enough I might add. With the hopes of leaving Todd Harbor at 7:00am instead of 7:15am minus all of my breaks and little off road excursion, I had really hoped to make it to this point at 9:30am. As if that weren't bad enough, I took another 6 minute break to readjust some things and fix the marker into the proper positioning.

At 12:03pm, I felt my heart strap getting loose and one of my poles starting to slip all the way back into its socket. I thoujght it was an ideal time to snack on a granola bar, take a drink of water, and check my boot twig. The break ended at 12:18pm.

Now ould be a good time to reinterate why I took the Minong Trail over the Greenstone Trail once more. I took the Minong because the weather looked nice out, not to worry, this is not the part where I tell you that I entered into a rainstorm that would put the days surrounding Noah and his Ark to shame. The weather did not worsen. I took the Minong because my girlfriend and I would be doing parts of the Greenstone in July and October and I did not want to rehike the Greenstone on three different occassions. There may have been other reasons that I took the Minong which I am forgetting to mention, but the biggest reason I took the Minong was to avoid moose. It started with me only wanting to see a moose from the safety of my shelter, to I only wanted to see a moose from the safety of my shealter during daylight hours only. I am sure you recall all of this. Never at any point did it turn into, I want to see a moose on the trail. NEVER!!!

At around 1:10pm, I watched two moose trot past me at a decent speed. I thought to myself, that was pretty cool, but I didn't even get a chance to snap a picture of them due to them being in such a hurry. Regardless, I was happy that they were at such a great distance and not any closer. I began to think to myself, perhaps seeing a moose on the trail wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I would like some pictures to show back home. Well if it happens it happens...I was secretly kind of hoping it would. No sooner did I get my wish, and as the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

At 1:25pm, just 15 minutes after seeing a mother and her grown calf from last season, did I encounter my first bull moose on the island ever. His antlers were just begining to grow for the fall mating season. I started taking pictures of him and a video, when instead of following his original path of crossing the trail, he started veering left onto the trail in my direction. I continued with the phoot shoot because he was going at such a slow pace, but eventually I got to the point of damn, this guy is getting way to close to be. I started dancing around, but he just continued to graze on the growth of the ground in front of him paying no attention to insignificant me as he slowing worked his way closer. Then I began shouting and he looked at me like, what do you want fool, can't you see I'm trying to work on eating a hefty lunch so I can get all the moose babes in these here parts with the killer antlers I am planning to grow for this fall? I look at him, he looks at me. I look at him, he looks at me. Him, me. Me, him. Him, me. Me, him. You could tell he had no intentions of moving.

Honestly, this situation could be looked at in two different lights. 1) Why doesn't the moose move the hell off the trail so I can proceed forward or 2) Thank god this moose isn't charging at me, because all I have is a ridgeline lying behing me with a small bush and a dropoff to hide behind. Without doing anything drastic and being in the second of two lights, I slowly paced backwards. I thought if I ran or moved quickly, instinctually he would feel the need to charge at me.

The bush would not hide me at all, so I hide behind a crevice of rock. As I hid in my spot, I couldn't tell if he had moved or not. The wind was blwoing hard on the ridge and I couldn't hear a thing. All I was thinking at this point is, boy I sure can't wait to make it to Windigio.

At 1:38pm, still not knowing if he is there or not, I decide to take a peek. Not only has he not carried on, but it seems as though my new friend has decided to approach closer to me. He notices me again, stares at me for a long 5 seconds, and then continues to much out on the vegetation. Now I have changed my point of view from thank god he's not charging at me to why won't this damn moose leave already. Ha Ha Ha.

With him showing no signs of giving up on eating the food at his feet, I had to devise a way to get around him and that way would have to involve a path around this part of the trail. I see a staggered arrangement of cliff like steps that desend the ridgeline on the right side of my new buddy. With him being occupied with his lunch, I figure now is the time if ever. At 1:46pm, I finally make it back on the trail. Well that was an unexpected little break! I tell myself, I'm done with moose for this trip and that I could not be more happier if I do not bump into another one of them.

(Sorry for the delay on getting on top of finishing my report. I've had a lot to catch up with this week and will not leave you hanging for too long when it comes to finishing the rest of this day and trip report in general (pictures will follow shortly after as well). If you have any questions that you would like to be immediately answered because you yourself are leaving for a trip soon, but all means don't hesistate to ask. I will make it of utmost importance to answer any concerns you have about trail conditions, bugs, etc.)

Everything in between Todd Harbor and Little Todd Harbor including the raging stream I found just before making it to Little Todd Harbor and a bridge crossing made of logs and sticks:

Videos of the raging stream that I found off the trail (You have to click the pictures to view the videos. There are two of them):

The moose getting closer and closer:

The moose after I go check to see if he is still there:

The videos of the moose. The first is the one where I encounter him and ask him why he was on the Minong Ridge. The second is me looking to see if he is still on the path. Yes, I was a little scared (You have to click the pictures to view the videos. There are two of them):

The path I have to take to go around the moose: