TR: 5/14-5/21, 2012 [Daisy-McCargoe-Chippewa-Moskey-3 Mile]

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

TR: 5/14-5/21, 2012 [Daisy-McCargoe-Chippewa-Moskey-3 Mile]

Post by BlackCoffee »

An 8-day trip report from May 2012 can be read at the links below (a guest post on my hiking blog). It has been posted in 2 parts.
I'm hoping to get back there myself before too long, but in the meantime, I'm living vicariously through everyone else's reports!

Part 1:
http://www.blackcoffeeatsunrise.com/201 ... t-one.html

Part 2:
http://www.blackcoffeeatsunrise.com/201 ... t-two.html
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: TR: 5/14-5/21, 2012 [Daisy-McCargoe-Chippewa-Moskey-3 Mi

Post by michigandave »

Great trip report! I've followed the blackcoffeeatsunrise for a couple years and really enjoy them. Last year my daughter and I used your Porkies trip as our guide when we were there in June 2011. Next month we're heading to S. Manitou and using your wife's guide too. In 2 days I'm leaving for Grand Island, with a copy of your 2011 trip report as a guide. Keep up the great work!
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Nice trip report. I can't believe your report has been posted for the past 2 months and I only noticed it now. I'm also surprised that your find shelter graffiti humorous being that you seem to adhere to LNT standards in every aspect. This is not to say that you yourself partook in any drawings or cravings of your own, but you did make mention of how it aggravated you to see people brushing their teeth and leaving food particles down near the water. I would have thought you would have been frustrated that the same non-followers of LNT standards were defacing shelters. Whatever the case maybe, I am not trying to give you grief by any means whatsoever. I myself love reading the graffiti on the walls of the shelter, but usually get an ear full from people that despise it and whom are strict followers of LNT. Kudos about going through puddles and not making the trails any wider. I am all about doing just that. Thanks again for the awesome report. I plan to read your 2009 report when I have a chance.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

Thanks again for the awesome report
Rafiki, If you like the trip report you will love the Black coffee website. I spent over two hours reading it today and its better then great :D Richard
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

michigandave wrote:Last year my daughter and I used your Porkies trip as our guide when we were there in June 2011. Next month we're heading to S. Manitou and using your wife's guide too. In 2 days I'm leaving for Grand Island, with a copy of your 2011 trip report as a guide.
Wow - that's awesome! I'm happy to hear that the site has been helpful. Please let me know how your trips to Grand Island and S. Manitou go!

-Nina.
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake

Post by BlackCoffee »

Richard1961 wrote:
I spent over two hours reading it today and its better then great :D Richard
Thanks, Richard. I'm glad that you like it and willingly wasted valuable time reading! :D I'm hoping to have another trip to write about in the fall, but haven't made any plans yet.

-Nina
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

No Thank You :D I am going to add South Manitou island to my sailing list for next summer. This summer I am booked with Door county/Fayette state park in August and 3 weeks at Isle Royale in September. Richard
michigandave
NewbieCake

Post by michigandave »

Grand Island was awesome and a great place to go on my first 4 day solo hike. I couldn't ask for any better weather! I'm starting to work on a trip report that I'll post in the "Other Places-Grand Island" topic. Unfortunately, the park service has closed the Northeast (aka Freighter View) site, but just opened up a new one even closer to North beach. South Manitou here I come :D
BlackCoffee wrote:
michigandave wrote:Last year my daughter and I used your Porkies trip as our guide when we were there in June 2011. Next month we're heading to S. Manitou and using your wife's guide too. In 2 days I'm leaving for Grand Island, with a copy of your 2011 trip report as a guide.
Wow - that's awesome! I'm happy to hear that the site has been helpful. Please let me know how your trips to Grand Island and S. Manitou go!

-Nina.