TR: 2012 [RH-Lane Cove-Daisy Farm-Moskey Basin-Greenstone]

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Roadtriptheworld
NewbieCake

TR: 2012 [RH-Lane Cove-Daisy Farm-Moskey Basin-Greenstone]

Post by Roadtriptheworld »

Isle Royale Backpacking trip with the family! Mom, Dad, 4 kids (14, 12, 9 year old twins)
Rock Harbor-Lane Cove-Daisy Farm-Moskey Basin-W. Chickenbone, Hatchet- to Windigo over 9 nights.
We saw many moose, fox, otter, bald eagle, loons and even heard the wolves one night in Moskey Basin. We absolutely love Isle Royale and know we will get back someday!
Read about our trip here-

http://roadtriptheworld.com/2013/03/isl ... onal-park/

http://roadtriptheworld.com/2013/03/isl ... onal-park/
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Rock Harbor-Lane Cove-Daisy Farm-Moskey Basin-Greenstone

Post by Vandy »

Awesome report! Great family bonding time, and a 20 mile hike memory to boot. Epic!
I wonder if the hiker with the broken arm/wrist was from Ingo's group?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Yup, that was my daughter's boyfriend with what turned out to be a broken wrist. Was amazed to find out that the family went from Hatchet to Windigo in a day! And it was one heck of a rain that morning. We were actually at Hatchet the same night, and caught a ride from Todd to Windigo. Great report!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Fantasic report. Love hearing about great family bonding times like this. I think this report will have to be a "must read" for my wife before I take my family on their first Isle Royale experience next summer.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Thanks for sharing a terrific trip report. You have an amazing family. Where are you from?
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Great report! Thanks for sharing it with us. I particularly enjoyed the pictures of your kids playing together. It's nice to see siblings who are so tight with one another.
Roadtriptheworld
NewbieCake

Ingo wrote:Yup, that was my daughter's boyfriend with what turned out to be a broken wrist. Was amazed to find out that the family went from Hatchet to Windigo in a day! And it was one heck of a rain that morning. We were actually at Hatchet the same night, and caught a ride from Todd to Windigo. Great report!
I just looked at the pics and we were there at the same time! I definitely remember his beard! :) I am so glad to hear he was okay and even wants to go back. Dave and I were thinking how easy something like a broken wrist can become a big deal when out in the wilderness. We had such a great time in Isle Royale. It's unlike any other place I've ever been. Hope to get back someday!
Roadtriptheworld
NewbieCake

hooky wrote:Great report! Thanks for sharing it with us. I particularly enjoyed the pictures of your kids playing together. It's nice to see siblings who are so tight with one another.
Thanks! They don't ALWAYS get along, but for the most part love each other well.

Tricia
Roadtriptheworld
NewbieCake

Tampico wrote:Thanks for sharing a terrific trip report. You have an amazing family. Where are you from?
Thanks! We're from Cincinnati.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report. I wish I could get my daughter to go with us. She wont even sleep in a tent, let alone spend two weeks in the wilderness without her cell phone.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Thanks for sharing. I too wished I could get some of my family to go on a trip with me. Oh well. Surprised you didn't have issues with a fox along the way (i.e. leaving your boots out at Hatchett L.). In June 2001 the rangers named one of the foxes at Windigo/Washington Creek Steally Dan (with good reason). We never saw food in its month, only camping supplies/gear. Hope you return to ISRO and give us another trip report.
jerry from Dayton, Oh
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: TR: 2012 [RH-Lane Cove-Daisy Farm-Moskey Basin-Greenston

Post by Rafiki »

Love the trip report so far. Have only made it to I believe your 5th day. The one where you are leaving from Moskey to Chickenbone west. Can't wait to read the rest of it, I would do so now, but then I would probably end up never leaving the forums today. So addicting being here and reading through threads when not on the island.

So here is a question for everyone. Do they change out the backpack weighers each year? I felt like when Shelly and I went they were inaccurate in September due to the toll they had take throughout the season. I knew out back weight was under 33lbs for our two week trip. I checked it at home using two different weighing methods and had not added anything to the packs since leaving. It should have been 27lbs. However, I watched others place there bags on the holder at Rock Harbor and it appeared that a lot of people had a 33lb or 34lb read out and it made me wonder if the thing was a little janky. Anyways just wondering.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)