TR: 5/4-5/12, 2013 [Paddling] [Rock Harbor area] NT Version

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

TR: 5/4-5/12, 2013 [Paddling] [Rock Harbor area] NT Version

Post by NancyT »

Mike insisted that I post my own trip report, so here it is. I had to put it in a PDF version as it's 22 pages long with 31 pictures.
I hope you enjoy it.
Attachments
Isle Royale Spring 2013 Trip Report Compressed.pdf
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 340 times
Last edited by NancyT on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: TR: 5/4-5/12, 2013 [Paddling] [Rock Harbor area] NT Vers

Post by Tightlines01 »

Love the report, great job! Sounds like such an adventure.

Out of curiosity what degree rating is your sleeping bag you referred to? Wondering if I was under rated with what I had packed. We were almost to Madison when we got the call and cancelled our trip as we couldn't extend our trip.

Andy
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

I can not stand being in a mummy sleeping bag, I have to be able to move my legs or I freak out. So, I invested in an Alpine Down Blanket, it fits around my Neoair sleeping pad, so there are no drafts. It is rated at 35 degrees, but I swear it could go down to zero and I'd still be warm. I never slept in clothing heavier than my light cotton under layer. I hate the cold, I get cold easily, but was never once cold in this. My old sleeping bag was rated 25 degrees and it didn't keep me warm when it was 50 degrees at night. It also weighs next to nothing! I will go to my grave praising this sleeping bag, eer blanket.
Here's the link...
http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/ ... 35/product
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Thanks for the update. I'm a big guy and really only have ever found one mummy that I like (mont bell super spiral down) but that comes with a nasty price tag. Like you I LOVE it but its a 40 degree bag that I've taken to 36 before.

I also have a 15 degree Big Agnes Park Series down bag which is what I had planned on taking. Like yours, the pad goes inside it which I think helps a lot.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Awesome read. Thanks for the report.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Great report! Thanks for sharing.

I always have a feeling of solitude as soon as I depart the immediate Rock Harobr area. I can't imagine the feeling you had being 'in town' and not seeing a single soul. Must have felt very, very odd.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Nancy, thanks for posting your trip report--I really enjoyed it. Sounds like you definitely had a rare experience on the island and one that will be enjoyable to share with others for years to come.
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

Wilderness Junkie, it was eerie being there without another soul there. I always dreaded having to be in Rock Harbor because of all the activity, but this time, I almost welcomed some.

Backpacker, absolutely a once in an "islandtime" experience for sure. I'm sure it has happened in the past that there was that much snow on the island, but in Mike's 20 trips it has never happened, so I consider myself fortunate to have been able to experience it.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Epic trip report!!! I was going to wait until I got to work today to read it, but I was unsure how well my computer would do with loading up the PDF. The computers are really slow and do not always do well with downloading things. Rather than risking not being able to read it, I suffered a little less sleep last night ;)

What an amazing trip. I definitely would not have passed on the opportunity to go to the island on the account of a little snow and I am glad that you did not either. Sorry to hear that you did not get to stay on the island for as long as you would have liked to. Just the same, it was quite the experience, so even thought it had to be cut short, I am sure it was a trip that you will not forget.

How was the water like with there being tons of ice still found in certain areas? Other than the bridge at Mott island being impassable, were there any other locations you had to weasel around to get through to certain places? Did the ice act as a a barrier against choppy water coming in from Superior or was it still typical canoeing conditions regarding the rougnness of the water?

So Tookers Island has shelters? I'm surprised I thought it was just tent sites. How many shelters are there? I think it is so awesome that you had the cow and calf sneak up on you at Caribou. That must have been so exhilarating! Sorry you did have a camera at your immediate access. Still must have been a thrilling moment.

And what a cherry on top of your trip to be graced with the presence of Robert Seeber on your return home. He is such a kind soul and it would be like him to offer you extra food so that you could stay on the island longer. I am so glad that I have had the pleasure to him in the past.

Anyways, gotta get back to work but I'm going to try to read Mike's report as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for taking the time to share your report with us. I know that it takes a lot of time to write up everything and upload pictures. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say that I appericate the time and effort you set aside to share your story with us and what a wonderful story it was!
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

Tim,
Sorry you lost sleep, but glad you got a chance to read the report. And you are right, it was a trip I will never forget.
How was the water like with there being tons of ice still found in certain areas? Other than the bridge at Mott island being impassable, were there any other locations you had to weasel around to get through to certain places? Did the ice act as a a barrier against choppy water coming in from Superior or was it still typical canoeing conditions regarding the rougnness of the water?
The water was COLD!!!!! There were only a few places we could go as most of the harbors/docks were iced in. We did not go to one place on our original itinerary. We only went where we knew it was safe to land. We didn't want to take any changes without hardly anyone around.

Tookers has two shelters.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Rafiki, There are two shelters at Tookers.