TR 8/19-8/26/13 Windigo-Rock Harbor; Ernest T & Smokey meet

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

smokey brown
NewbieCake

TR 8/19-8/26/13 Windigo-Rock Harbor; Ernest T & Smokey meet

Post by smokey brown »

I'll get in a quick report while it is fresh. First, this is my 11th consecutive trip to the island in mid-August and this was the hottest and the most mosquitoes. The weather and bugs were more what I use to experience in June (minus the black flies and deer flies at least).

Sunday August 18 was the drive up with the required stops at Tobe's in Hinkley for carmel rolls and Betty's Pies in Flood Bay for a pie shake. We stayed at Judge C.R. Magney State Park, it is a nice park and if you get in before dark, the short walk to the Devil's Kettle waterfall is worth the effort.

Monday August 19 started with a 25 minute drive from the park to the VII dock (use to just sleep in the car at the dock back in the 80s but no longer allowed by them or my back). We experienced the usual wait for a group to show up late and load their gear - reminder 7:30 am is when they leave, not when you should arrive. The ride was a little lumpy but fast and we arrived at Windigo by 9:30 am. After the LNT talk and a check with the staff we headed off to South Desor (note: the original plan was to head to North Desor but bug reports from the Minong lead us to decide to file our permit for South Desor). The walk up is a gradual one, easy but not many views. We passed by a marsh at 2.5 hours out, the Island Mine junction at 3 hours and at 5 hours out we came to the short turn off to finally see one of the vistas the island is famous for - the view of Lake Desor and the Canadian shore. It is another 30 minute walk from there to the camp sites. We set up camp, relaxed and listened to a noisy scouting group (but how quiet can pre-teens be, they weren't trying to be loud but voices travel far on the island).

Tuesday August 20 started late since some slept in, but the walk back up to the Greenstone will wake you up fast. We stopped at a rock outcrop about an hour out, it is good spot to look back at Lake Desor. Another 40 minutes we crossed by a marsh and then a 20 minute uphill walk and the fire tower suddenly appears among the trees. Back in the 70s, this was a grand view, but now the trees are taller, lots taller, so it is more a shaded stop. We met several parties heading west and chatted for a few moments to compare notes on the trail conditions. About an hour and a half later we came to the rock outcrop where you get a great view to the south of Ryan Island. Another 15 minutes later we stopped at Hatchet Lake for a break and met Ernest T from the forum. He was not throwing rocks but just adjusting his pack and getting ready to catch up with Mrs Bass and their daughter who were already on their way to Todd Harbor. It was a nice experience to finally met someone from the the forum and now associate a face to the name. The walk around Hatchet Lake is a fairly easy one and after you cross the creek at the end, there are seven short, but steep, hills to cross before reaching the junction with the Minong trail. Once at this point it is a fairly level walk (though you cross two streams) to Todd Harbor. Todd was crowded that night. Yea! Why? This means you have a choice between staying with another party in in the individual sites or move to the group sites and I think the best site at Todd is group site #1, it is remote and just off the lake. More to follow.......
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: TR 8/19-8/26 Windigo-Rock Harbor; Ernest T and Smokey me

Post by johnhens »

Do you know if there is water at Island Mine?

Was ET throwing rocks?
smokey brown
NewbieCake

Post by smokey brown »

While it was hot, it was not dry so many of the streams I crossed had running water. We did not go down to the Island Mine campground but a party we meet had camped there and indicated they were able to filter water out of that stream without difficulty.

SInce I am logged in, I'll continue the report

Tuesday August 20 evening I stopped by the one shelter at Todd to talk with the Bass family. Ernest T had some foot problem so Mrs Bass talked with a ranger to see if the VII was planning to stop at McCargoe on Wednesday and if there was room for 3. The VII was planning to stop and had room but I suggested "plan K" where Ernest and Ramena catch the boat to the Rock and their daughter continue to hike with us (I was traveling with college students). It was decided that plan K was a go.

Wednesday, August 21 we broke camp and headed over to McCargoe. This section of the Minong starts out with some short climbs and it is mostly a "walk in the woods" until about 2 hours out when you come out onto the ridge and overlook Otter Lake and the Canadian shore. It is a great stop and this year the blueberries along the trail were ripe and sweet (note: the Juneberries were also still fruiting and they were great at well!). Once past the overlook you dip down into the trees, it is mostly white pine along this section, a species that was logged heavily a century ago. You walk up a ridge of stunted pines about 30 minutes after leaving the overlook and then drop down to the junction with the mine trail. The mine site is worth the stop and if you walk down into the mine you can see a few very fine bands of copper on the roof.

We got into McCargoe about 3 hours after leaving Todd and met the Bass family at the dock waiting for the VII. I had a chat with Ernest and Ramena, nice folks, and we discussed gear and the Island until the boat docked. The afternoon was spent swimming and relaxing, this was our short day, and I even got in a nap. That evening I usually enjoy the sit around the campfire and talk with other folks. We had a nice turnout that night, but the bugs came in force as the sun set so most, including myself, decided to turn in early.

Thursday, August 22 we, now increased by one, made the hike over to Daisy Farm on the east chickenbone trail. Everyone that had done this knows about the steep, long hike up that started shortly after the trail separates from the Indian Portage trail. This is followed by some short uphills and a few stream crosses before you get to East Chickenbone campsite and quickly keep walking (who decided to make a campground here?). After passing by the campsite you have one more steep, long climb up to the Greenstone and just a few minutes down the trail at the top you are rewarded with a great view of the north side of the island and beyond. This is reached about an hour out from McCargoe. We walked along the Greenstone for about two hours and came to a short side trail to an outlook. This view was originally on the trail but the trail was detoured around the peak about two years ago. It is worth the very short walk. Just after that you reach the junction with the Daisy Farm trail, It is less than an hour from here to the campground and it is an enjoyable walk. You cross two long plank sections and if you look at the ground, not just at your feet, you can see many pitcher plants along the planks. Pitcher plants "feed" on insects and the plants were in bloom (not that the flower is very colorful display). More to come.....
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Good for you Smokey! I am sure Ernest & Ramona's daughter was happy to be able to continue. Another example of how great the forums are and the community they create! :D
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

What a nice thing to do. I just love this forum. Island folk are the best folk!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
aethyric
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by aethyric »

johnhens wrote:Do you know if there is water at Island Mine?

Was ET throwing rocks?
There was water at Island Mine on 8/28, and it rained on both Thursday night and Sunday night.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

aethyric wrote:
johnhens wrote:Do you know if there is water at Island Mine?

Was ET throwing rocks?
There was water at Island Mine on 8/28, and it rained on both Thursday night and Sunday night.
Thanks!!
sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by sgatz »

smokey brown wrote:...on the east chickenbone trail. Everyone that had done this knows about the steep, long hike up that started shortly after the trail separates from the Indian Portage trail..
Yup, two of my group took a wrong turn there and carried their canoe to Chickenbone east (not the 0.45 mi from the trail split to the portage) :shock:
sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by sgatz »

Got any pics? :?: