TR: June 15-18, 1985 Feldtmann loop trail

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

smokey brown
NewbieCake

TR: June 15-18, 1985 Feldtmann loop trail

Post by smokey brown »

Since the question was asked in the forum about the east Feldtmann trail - here is a trip report (1985) from my last walk across this section of trail. I have kept notes of my IR trips over the last several decades. Still have the map from that trip, as well as slides, and if I can figure out how to put them in a digital form I will post them later.

June 15, 1985 We spent the night sleeping at the dock for the Voyageur II. In the morning we ate at the small restaurant by the dock (I believe it is the same building now where we pay our parking fee). The sky was clear but the winds were strong so it was a little lumpy going over and one of our group lost most of his ham and eggs on the ride. When we arrived at the dock in Windigo we got our packs (no LNT talks in those days), stopped in at the office to file our permit and off we went. The east Feldtmann trail started out as the current one does, running along the harbor for a mile or so and then a sharp turn in and up but then it curved to the southeast and crossed Grace Creek about 1/2 mile in from the harbor. The next mile was a more or less straight trail running SE through some lowlands but then a short climb up onto a ridge - nice rest stop and out of the bugs as I remember. The trail turned sharply and then ran due south for about 2 miles down the ridge and back on some flat low land until reaching the swamp east of Feldtmann. Here it got very interesting! The trail crossed the swamp over 1,500 feet of planks - the longest plank section on the island at the time. It was quite an experience walking above the swamp over that distance and there were not many spots to stop and catch your balance. After crossing the swamp the trail came right up to the rocks at the base of the Feldtmann ridge. You stood at the base of a rock cliff and could look straight up to the ridge (we carried our climbing gear to climb this cliff in 1987 - that is another trip report). After about 1/2 mile walking west we connected to the trail that either headed east up onto the Feldtmann ridge or west to the Feldtmann campground. We arrived at the campground about 4 pm.
June 16, we just stayed at Feldtmann and took short hikes out from there. The campground has not changed much - except the trees are taller - but the old outhouse did not have a roof back then and was open on one side (the side facing the trail).
June 17, we took the "new" trail back to Windigo (the present trail). It was still flagged but hard to find in a few spots.
June 18, caught the Voyageur II back to Grand Portage. I will never forget this trip. The air was warm and humid and the sky was almost pitch black at 2 pm. I have never seen the lake as flat as it was that day, not a ripple in the water for the entire ride. We got to the dock, loaded the car and just got up to the highway and the storm hit - worst I had seen in the area. Glad we were not on the lake. Hope everyone enjoyed this short trip back almost 30 years.
manumuskin
NewbieCake

Re: TR: June 15-18, 1985 Feldtmann loop trail

Post by manumuskin »

Why did they let the trail disappear? Too hard to maintain?
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: TR: June 15-18, 1985 Feldtmann loop trail

Post by MikeT »

Smokey, can you send me your email address. I have (recently) begun a new project on the early history of the park and I would like to test your memory a bit if you are willing.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"