TR: 8/9-8/15/13 [RH-3 Mile-Moskey-Chippewa] video link

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

KJean4
NewbieCake

TR: 8/9-8/15/13 [RH-3 Mile-Moskey-Chippewa] video link

Post by KJean4 »

We were fortunate to make the trip to Isle Royale for the first time last August. Our route was the North Shore to Grand Portage, across on the Voyageur II to Windigo, and then around to our start at Rock Harbor. There were drop off stops at McCargoe Cove, Belle Isle, and the Tobin Harbor mail call dock, so we had about a 7 hour boat ride from start to finish. The waters were calm and we had a great time anticipating our arrival.
Once at Rock Harbor, we repacked, topped our waters off, used the facilities and heading off down the Tobin Harbor Trail. We chose Tobin Harbor Trail based on trip reports from others saying the Rock Harbor trail was more difficult, and we wanted to make time to 3 Mile as we got a later start. The Tobin Harbor Trail was beautiful, wooded and relatively flat. The further we went from Rock Harbor the less traffic it appeared to have seen. We did take the cut over trail to Suzy's Cave, and then down to the Rock Harbor Trail. It was more difficult, with more topography and rocks/boulders in the trail. It was gorgeous though. First night was spent in 3 Mile.
Second day, we hiked from 3 Mile to Moskey Basin. We stopped at Daisy Farm for lunch where there was a replica canoe there for the evening program. We joked about taking it for a ride over to the Peterson's camp to see the bone yard but of course that was just in fun. We continued on to Moskey Basin, which was our favorite camp. We stayed there the next two nights.
The third day, the boys went fishing off the beaten path around Lake Richie and had a blast catching northern pike from shore. The gals caught the show of a family of otters fishing in the morning, and took a 13 mile round trip hike up to Ojibway Tower and back. We chose the Daisy Farm Trail on the way up to the Greenstone, and took the Mount Ojibway Trail back. We preferred the Daisy Farm Trail, especially the bog/wetland area the boardwalk goes through where we saw blue flag iris, purple fringed orchid and pitcher plant. It rained and was a little windy on our way up to Ojibway Tower but by the time we hit the Greenstone it was mostly done.
That night, back at Moskey Basin, we were treated to the generous act of boater kindness as our entire camp was invited down to the dock for fresh caught grilled salmon, fresh veggies, beer and wine. The camp fox graced us with his/her presence and caught a deer mouse for dinner as we looked on.
Day four we left Moskey for Chippewa Harbor. We stayed our last two nights at Chippewa Harbor and explored the area. The boys fished Lake Mason and got to see a moose on their way back. Seeing the Chippewa Harbor schoolhouse in person was a treat to history after reading the schoolhouse diary prior to the trip.
On our last full day, we intended to explore the area, look for moose, and try to reach Epidote Lake if we could bushwhack off the trail. Instead, we were asked if we would care to go sailing…yes!! So we spent several hours out on a sailboat, sailing Chippewa Harbor and out on Lake Superior. It was amazing!
Every night we looked for the northern lights and perseid meteors which were at peak while we were on Isle Royale. We saw many "falling stars" and others on the boat home reported seeing northern lights in the wee hours of the morning.
The trip was everything we had hoped it would be, and so much more. If you'd like to watch the video we compiled of our footage (go pro, photography and underwater), here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0LsHiOcS0
I hope this trip report and video helps others as they plan and anticipate their Isle Royale Adventures!
Thanks to everyone here for all the wealth of information and we look forward to planning our return trips!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: TR: 8/9-8/15/13 [RH-3 Mile-Moskey-Chippewa] video link

Post by Lucky Chicken »

welcome to the forums!

Nice report, yet to watch the video, but I look forward to it! Glad to hear you had a good time hopefully many more to come!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Awesome video! What a great trip.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Fantastic video. Great botanical and wildlife photography and video. One tiny correction. Your shot across Rock Harbor from Daisy Farm is of the Edisen Fishery. The Bangsund cabin is 1/2 mile farther west and nearly invisible from Daisy Farm, hidden behind much foliage. Anyway, I just loved the video with great closeups and excellent overall quality.

BTW, anyone desiring to understand more completely the ruggedness of the Rock Harbor trail just needs to fast forward to 4:35 in the video, but watch the whole thing. You won't regret it.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
KJean4
NewbieCake

Post by KJean4 »

Midwest Ed - Thank you for kindly letting me know that! I'll make a note in the video comments…and try to figure out how to edit in the video too. I'm a stickler for accuracy ;)
I still would have been tempted to "borrow" that fabulous canoe to see Edisen though - just kidding of course but I wouldn't have turned down an offered ride over!
Thanks for the input everyone!
Last edited by KJean4 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Wow. I was amazed at the pictures, especially the otter pics. Simply stunning. Great report and video and pics. I'm really starting to jones for my next trip.
jimh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by jimh »

The audio-video presentation is very nicely done, with excellent images and natural sound.

I have two questions:

--did you catch any fish at Lake Mason?

--how did you identify so many of the plants and flowers? Are you a botanist?
KJean4
NewbieCake

Post by KJean4 »

Hey jimh,
Only one 12inch pike was lifted from Lake Mason and returned - they couldn't get to the spots they wanted from shore.
And no, not a botanist but I do work with native plants. I like identifying what I see. Many I knew, the rest I looked up.
Thanks, it was fun to put this together, especially with how cold it has been this winter!
:)
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Great pictures and video, I enjoyed it very much.
What kind of camera equipment do you use?
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
KJean4
NewbieCake

Post by KJean4 »

Hi NancyT!
The footage is a combination - GoPro and a Kodak Play Sport for the video, and Canon T2i and Canon T3 for the photography. In the future I'll use my T2i for some video too! I took a 15-85mm and 55-250mm, and I believe the other camera had a 18-55 and 70-300? Very nice equipment but nothing too fancy either. ;)
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

Beautifully produced video! Looks like you had an awesome stay.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

Awesome video; brings back so many fond memories from my hike last August and gives me a nice fix until I can get back to the Isle!

Thanks for posting.
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

I watched this video about a week and a half ago. Great footage and one of the better IR videos I've seen!
KJean4
NewbieCake

Post by KJean4 »

Thanks fredly, Donk_67, and MattC for the kind comments! Wishing we were going back for a return trip this year, hopefully next year!