DeLorme InReach SE - Real Time Updates - June 21-28, 2014

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

ryanpett
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

DeLorme InReach SE - Real Time Updates - June 21-28, 2014

Post by ryanpett »

We're heading back to Isle Royale this week... taking the ferry from Copper Harbor on Sat, Jun 21 for a 7 day thru-hike from Windigo to Rock Harbor. While we're there, we'll be using the DeLorme InReach SE (http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-i ... eachse.php) to provide updates and tracking to the family back home (wife is pregnant and mom has some recent health issues, so it's nice to stay in touch). While I'm a HUGE proponent of cutting loose from technology while I'm in the wilderness... my wife "suggested" that we be available in an emergency and I obliged (in my mind, it was just an excuse for me to buy a cool new toy). So, long story short... one of the cool features about the DeLorme (vs the SPOT messenger) is the two-way messaging capabilities. Anyone can track us or send us messages via the DeLorme MapShare link (below). So, if you're looking for a real-time update on bugs, trail conditions, weather, gear, what I'm wearing... whatever you feel you might need, use the link below to send us a message or follow our progress. I can't promise "real-time" as in immediately, but I'll do my best to respond to messages as "real-time" as same-day, I hope. If it helps someone plan a trip or just take a break from the office and dream about the island a little... I'll be happy to help! Looking forward to receiving some of your messages!

If you're interested in following our progress or sending us a message while we're on the island... follow this link: https://share.delorme.com/RyanPett

Itinerary:
Jun 21 - (ferry) Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor - camp @ Rock Harbor, day hike Scoville Point / etc
Jun 22 - (ferry) Rock Harbor to Windigo - hike to and camp @ Island Mine
Jun 23 - hike to and camp @ Lake Desor (south)
Jun 24 - hike to and camp @ Hatchet Lake
Jun 25 - hike to and camp @ McCargoe Cove
Jun 26 - hike to and camp @ Moskey Basin
Jun 27 - hike to and camp @ Three Mile
Jun 28 - (ferry) Rock Harbor to Copper Harbor
Jun 29 - plan Isle Royale 2015

Ryan, Kyle, and Adam
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: DeLorme InReach SE - Real Time Updates - June 21-28, 201

Post by Rafiki »

I would push through to South Desor. While is Island Mine is beautiful, sometimes it lacks a good water source, although this early in the year will probably not lead this to be the case. However, I would do this to allow you to fit it maybe Chippewa Harbor along the way. A lot of people on this site love that campsite. I like you new toy too. Seems like a steal for $299.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hey Ryan. If all goes as planned on your stops I'll see you at Island Mine. I'm flying into Windigo on Sat to Huginnin Cove then to Island Mine and on through Feldtman loop from there. I'd love to see your messenger in use as I've gone back and forth on it. I'll be hiking solo, should be easy to find at Island Mine.

The main reason I haven't gone to one is fear that loved ones will freak out if I don't respond because of reception or something (like dropping it and breaking it).

It is interesting for some purposes.
ryanpett
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ryanpett »

Thanks, Rafiki - my only concern with pushing through is that we won't be on the ground at Windigo until early afternoon - so we've already burned the morning hours to start the 11+ mile hike to South Desor. It's not impossible, but we had considered some off-trail from Island Mine to South Desor, which would slow us down also.

Tightlines01 - I'd be happy to show you the unit in use and let you know how it seems to be working so far. I had a first-generation SPOT messenger for years (did a lot of solo hiking in Arizona / Colorado when I lived out West) and loved it... so we'll see how the DeLorme compares. I read a lot of good reviews before purchasing. Option B had been renting a sat phone - but that's pricey too (mom had a fairly serious heart attack a few weeks ago - recovering well - so only reason we're taking extra precautions to stay in touch). Safe travels and keep an eye out for us (three guys, early 30's... carrying a DeLorme InReach SE)!
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

I'd play it by ear. If you are not sure how many mph you'll average, when you get to the Island Mine/South Desor intersection, you can calculate how long it took you to get there and calculate you mph from Windigo. If that mph number is high enough to where you could get to South Desor before sun down, I'd consider it. Althoughhhhhhh Tightlines is a pretty cool guy. I met him on the way to going to Hatchet Lake. He was on the way to Moskey and the friends he had trailing behind by a couple of miles were on their way to Chippewa Harbor. So I'd be tempted to go to Island Mine if he is going to be there ;)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Milage on Isle Royale is not measured in statute miles ......it is measured in park service miles, therefore the higest speed possible is 1mph ;) :) :( :p :)
Seriously though the trails are a little more difficult than most and not everyone has a pack mule, to keep em movin along.....right Rafiki.

This toy ....tool seems like a pretty cool thing.I look forward to hearing how well it works. It sounds like just the ticket to allow me to take a good lengthy trip and stay in touch!Good luck on your first trip!Life has 2 phases ....life before IR.....and life after IR.The island touches the soul....and leaves you wanting more!......I still say that there is something in the water!

Have fun! :)
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Seriously though the trails are a little more difficult than most and not everyone has a pack mule, to keep em movin along.....right Rafiki.
Right Tree ;) HEE HAW :lol:
Good luck on your first trip!Life has 2 phases ....life before IR.....and life after IR.The island touches the soul....and leaves you wanting more!......I still say that there is something in the water!
My friends and family just do not get this aspect of me. Everyone tells me that I have to broaden my horizons and see more of the world. That I'm stuck in a bubble and that there is more out there than Isle Royale. I shrug my shoulders and with great difficulty try to convey why I don't vacation to many other places, but they never understand me :oops:
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Rafiki wrote: My friends and family just do not get this aspect of me. Everyone tells me that I have to broaden my horizons and see more of the world. That I'm stuck in a bubble and that there is more out there than Isle Royale. I shrug my shoulders and with great difficulty try to convey why I don't vacation to many other places, but they never understand me :oops:
I know the feeling. Had the same argument (only with those who have never been to the Isle)

Andy.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Wish I could have hooked up with you guys. As it is I'm in copper harbor as I write this waiting for the boat in the AM. The sea plane hasn't been able to get into the island in a few days. Two days of stand by and wait was enough. Pulled the trigger and switched to the boat while I could still salvage the trip.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Hopefully you make it tightlines I was in Windigo hanging out with the guys that wanted to get on the plane you were supposed to get off of on saturday. We didnt end up getting back until sunday because of the Sea Hunter's breakdown. I'm dragging a bit today.

Probably too late but Island mine's stream is running strong!
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

That's a bummer tightlines. I am hoping the seaplane owner/operator gave you a full refund on the account of poor weather. More importantly I hope you have a fun time with the time that has been allowed to you on the island. Let us know how things went when you get back.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Yes and yes. I can not complain at all with my service from the sea plane just really bad luck on the weather. I did get a full refund on everything. Very fair and he was incredibly willing to work with me for whatever I wanted to do and stuck it out all day watching for any window to get in and calling rangers for condition updates. I actually flew over the island (Houghton to Windigo and then to Rock) on Sunday afternoon but we couldn't even see the island. No way to safely land. He really tried, just bad weather. I respect him for making a tough call on the side of safety and allowing me to salvage a shortened trip.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

that's interesting... i remember standing on the dock in Windigo Sunday waiting with the guys that were going to get on that plane listening to you fly overhead and away. At that time it was clear on the ground up to about the ridge top... very short ceiling.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

He called the ranger in Windigo who said it was lifting. Honestly I couldn't see the island at all as the fog was so thick a bit off shore we couldn't even see the island approaching. If he knew the ceiling was a good bit above the ridge line then he said he could possibly try dropping through the clouds out over the lake to try to find the harbor. There were absolutely no holes in the clouds to see for sure. As bad as I wanted to get down on the island I appreciated him making the painfully hard call to turn around and go back.