Post by fonixmunkee »

Incredible shot from the camera right now:
lastsnap.jpg
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Rock of Ages lighthouse restoration 2018

Post by fonixmunkee »

The Rock of Ages camera is offline for the rest of the season. We've got some good lessons-learned to try and improve it for next year. Stay tuned!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Thanks Fonix for all your efforts! Both on the lighthouse and camera.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:53 pmThanks Fonix for all your efforts! Both on the lighthouse and camera.
I second the notion.

I'd be glad to help solve or work on the issues you've faced. PM or email me if more appropriate.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I don't want to start a new post just for this:

The report for the 2018 Rock of Ages lighthouse restoration work is available here. It's a good wrap-up of what we accomplished in this year's short work season. I think it sounds like it wasn't a lot of hard work, but rest assured...it was.

This is such an incredible experience to be part of this effort.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It sure looks like a lot was accomplished. The amount of effort required I'm sure depends on skill and experience. It would have been a lot of hard work for me.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

I got around to dumping the rest of the images from the webcam at the lighthouse over the past year. When it had power, it was able to capture an image every five minutes and compile them into an animated GIF. Check them out below. Specifically, the animation for the 15th of July and the 30th of July...they are incredible. If these ones in particular could be sped up, you'll be blown away. The one on the 15th has a storm coming in towards the end *and* you can see the light come on. The one for the 30th lets you really see the reef stretching out toward the east, and you can quickly see the shadow of the light trace across the water.

I highly recommend setting the image speed to "4x" when you click the links...
Other days:
Sadly, we've received a request from the Park Service to stop putting the webcam up in the lighthouse, so this is all we will be able to enjoy from the light...until you can come and visit it yourself in 2020...
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Any idea of plans for 2019? Work to be done?
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

johnhens wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:01 pm Any idea of plans for 2019? Work to be done?
We sure do. We'll be finishing up the four floor (kitchen) and moving onto the next floor on the list. Work starts in July. Interested? :D
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

fonixmunkee wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 pm Sadly, we've received a request from the Park Service to stop putting the webcam up in the lighthouse
This befuddles me. Sure, there is probably some small print somewhere in the government bureaucratic contract that precludes putting a camera on government property without some ridiculous approval step, but I'm personally stymied on the reason they would choose to enforce it.
In this case, a group of volunteers is restoring an amazing landmark of historical significance, one that has been outside the budgeting capacity of the US Govt. They raise funds, solicit volunteers, and do the work. As a part of that, they have a webcam that draws interest (and action) from their community.

Yep. I could see why that's a threat. That or maybe you could see Canada and enemies of the country could tell there is no wall. :wink:

Thanks for the effort and images, Fonix! Worth it while they arrived. I may see if I have a volunteer shift in me in the coming year or two!