Cancelled June 2018 Trip / New 2019 Planning Underway

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Cancelled June 2018 Trip / New 2019 Planning Underway

Post by chief54 »

Been a while since posting, I had trip planned for some serious photography/Milky Way in June but had to cancel a week or so before due to rotator cuff injury, old age/worn out. Tried re hab all summer did not work and finally had surgery two weeks ago, gonna be a long road to recovery due to complications during surgery, allergic reaction to surgical soap, who knew, which has been worse than the surgery.

Am ready to start planning next year trip in June and look forward to reading about all trips this summer. Would love to see any photos of Milky Way and will check photo section next, also what weather was like in first two weeks of June.

As a side note be very wary of travel insurance, I had full coverage from Travel Guard and when inquiring about medical issues was told only need note from Doctor which they would send to " evaluator", not sure if that was word they used but something similar, I asked could that person deny and was told yes, I asked was that person a doctor, was told no, hmmmmm. Since I could travel, plane, ferry, sea plane they hinted strongly that it was not looking good. Everybody was good to me refunding fees, except airline but have year to use ticket in a year so I can roll over for fee to use next year. Looking forward to reading about IR.

Chief

Mod Note: Edited title for additional clarity.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Cancelled June 2018 Trip / New 2019 Planning Underway

Post by Midwest Ed »

I earlier wondered why we hadn't heard from you. I'm so sorry to hear the bad news, Chief. Old age does march forward. The nights of my last trip were confined to the Lodge with a couple of 2 to 4 mile walks. Otherwise I utilized the M.V. Sandy to get around. I know you were planing to also use the water taxi. Have you thought about maybe a rented canoe to get around places in and around Moskey Basin after a drop off at Daisy Farm? (or a rented outboard at the Lodge)?

Double check with the airline but I think as long as you pay the change fee ($200 with United) within the year and re-ticket within a year then you are good for yet another year.

Best wishes for your rehab.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel and hope for a quick and full recovery, and of course a great trip next year. I chose not to bring my tripod this year and missed some potentially great Milky Way pics--it was clear and awesome almost every night. So hard to get away from lights anymore, and we did have some glow from Thunder Bay, but comparatively speaking...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

thanks you guys, I really missed going. I was gonna rent boat with motor for Moskey as long as weather looked good. Also gonna try to get cabin at Windigo as soon as they go on sale. You are correct on the airline out changing tickets. Am looking at 1st week of June when there will be a new moon, hope lodge will be open for a night or two to recharge batteries, for me and cameras. I now pretty much take my tripod everywhere it helps me in all kinds of photography from nightscapes to birds in flight my new passion
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times