2009 Trip Log - Add your planned itinerary here!

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

2009 Trip Log - Add your planned itinerary here!

Post by Tom »

A great way to meet fellow hikers on the Island - It's amazing how often paths cross even though it's so big. Once finalized as best as possible, post your itinerary, and then look around the list at who may else be enjoying a trip at the same time.

Please copy below and post your plans in the following format:

Name:
Email: (at)
Hometown:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Coming From/Via:
Itinerary:
Notes/Other:
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: 2009 Trip Log - Add your planned itinerary here!

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

Name: Rob, Ray, Frank Dumas
Email: (at) vladinator1@sbcglobal.net
Hometown: Warren, Mi.
Arrival Date: 7-3-09
Departure Date: 7-11-09
Coming From/Via: Houghton via MV Ranger III
Itinerary:
Day 1-3 - Merritt Cabin in Tobin Harbor. Do a little Lake Trout fishing.
Day 4-5 - Birch Island. Pike fishing!
Day 6 - Malone Bay
Day 7 - Chippewa Harbor Pike fishing!
Day 8 - Caribou Island. A visit to the Bangsund Cabin.
Notes/Other: We will be taking our boat over on the Ranger! Keep your eyes peeled for a 2005 Stratos with an American Flag. If you see us, flag us down for a FREE BEER and some conversation!
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
potato sausage
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by potato sausage »

FREE BEER! Looks like I will be taking the same route and same dates as Isle Royale Rob this year! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

With the "Free Beer" lure thrown out there I think there's a possibility there could be a lot of followers trailing behind Isle Royale Rob. :wink:
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Name: Don Price
Email: dcumba99p (.at.) yahoo (.dot.) com
Hometown: Wilmington, Delaware
Arrival Date: Aug 29
Departure Date: Sept 3
Coming From/Via: Copper Harbor
Itinerary: TBD
Notes/Other: We've been to the island several times; bringing the kids (8/12) this time. Will likely do water taxi to Moskey Basin this time to minimize miles for the kiddos, then stay at Chickenbone, McCargo, Daisy Farm. This will also be our first time during the peak season so not sure what to expect in the way of "crowds".
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Good ol' Tom, he's always on top of one of the most important threads in the forums. Thanks Tom!

This is currently just place holder until we lock down our itinerary:

Name: Richard Kaufman
Email: fonixmunkee(at)gmail.com
Hometown: Superior, WI
Arrival Date: As close to first VII as possible (June-July)
Departure Date: 5-6 days after arrival
Coming From/Via: Grand Portage, MN
Itinerary: Gonna paddle an easier route, suggestions welcome
Notes/Other: This will be our first time paddling IR, since we've hiked the whole thing. If anyone has some suggestions for a newbie kayaker, I'm all ears.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote: Itinerary: Gonna paddle an easier route, suggestions welcome
Notes/Other: This will be our first time paddling IR, since we've hiked the whole thing. If anyone has some suggestions for a newbie kayaker, I'm all ears.
I've never quite figured out the portaging a kayak thing. But then I've never tried it. But I'll leave out the inland lake routes anyways...
(1) McCargoe to R.H. If the weather's good, you can paddle the whole way, including around Blakes Pt. If not, you'll have 1 significant portage from Duncan Bay to Tobin Harbor. Lot's of great areas to explore by water. Might be my next trip. Easier yet, get off at Belle Isle, although I'd love to camp at Birch Island and fish McCargoe.
(2) Malone Bay, Siskiwit Bay, Lake Siskiwit. I know J Hens can/will help you here. Haven't done Malone before, but thought about just hanging out in this area for a few days. A couple nights at Malone, a couple at Wood Lake (sweet campsite), and then back to Malone. 1 portage from Malone to Siskiwit.
(3) Stay in Rock Harbor (the water, not the place). Lot's of places to explore, day hikes, etc. R.H. light, Edison Fishery, Rolf's place, Park HQ, which you can't get to on foot. More of the human presence, but no portaging. Caribou Island is choice. Moskey great too.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
TrekkerJeff
NewbieCake

Post by TrekkerJeff »

My wife and I are planning to visit IR from Sept 5 thru 13. We will be bringing our Wenonah Minnesota II canoe. We plan to take the Voyageur to Mc Cargo Cove to start out the trip. This will be our first trip using the Voyageur as we normally have brought the Ranger over.

Name: Jeff & Joyce Fetters
E Mail: trekker@wildblue.net
Hometown: Raber, MI (eastern UP)
Arrival: Sept 5
Departure: Sept 13
Coming via: Voyageur
Itinerary: 5th - Voyageur to Mc Cargo Cove, paddle to Birch Island?
6th - McCargo Cove - day hike, paddle
7th - Paddle/portage to Lake Richie canoe camp
8th - Paddle/portage to Chippewa Harbor
9th - Paddle/portage to Lake Whittlesey
10th - Paddle/portage to Wood Lake
11th - Paddle/portage to Malone Bay via Siskwit Lake or 2nd night at Wood Lake
12th - Malone Bay
13th - Pick up by Voyageur
Notes: It's been 3 years since our last visit and we are anxious to visit the always special Isle Royale.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

fonixmunkee wrote:Good ol' Tom, he's always on top of one of the most important threads in the forums. Thanks Tom!

This is currently just place holder until we lock down our itinerary:

Name: Richard Kaufman
Email: fonixmunkee(at)gmail.com
Hometown: Superior, WI
Arrival Date: As close to first VII as possible (June-July)
Departure Date: 5-6 days after arrival
Coming From/Via: Grand Portage, MN
Itinerary: Gonna paddle an easier route, suggestions welcome
fonix,
What kind of yaks are you paddling?
Rob513
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Canoe trip across the Island, 1 adult, 2 teenage boys, 2 can

Post by Rob513 »

Name: Rob Parks
Email: crparks(at)fuse.net
Hometown: grew up in MI, living in Loveland, OH
Arrival Date: June 9, 2009
Departure Date: June 21, 2009
Via: Copper Harbor

Itinerary: Rock Harbor, Malone Bay, Intermediate Lk, Lk Ritchie, Chickenbone Lk, McCargoe Cove, Birch Is, Pickerel Cove, Lane Cove, Duncan Bay, Duncan Narrows, Rock Harbor

Notes: I have completed this trip a couple times before. In the interest of my less experienced canoeists, we'll be cheating & taking a water taxi to Malone Bay & around Blake Pt. One trip, we tried for 3 days to get around Blake Point with no luck. It's been a while, however, the memory of that portage from Duncan Bay to Tobin Harbor remains fresh. Switchbacks on a portage trail, gee whiz! I remember one of the shelters at Duncan Narrows had this written on a wall: "Tried to make Blake Pt in 2 Folboats, got swamped, all is lost, there is no God! If you'll be on the Island in June, drop me a line.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

TrekkerJeff wrote:My wife and I are planning to visit IR from Sept 5 thru 13. We will be bringing our Wenonah Minnesota II canoe. We plan to take the Voyageur to Mc Cargo Cove to start out the trip. This will be our first trip using the Voyageur as we normally have brought the Ranger over.

Name: Jeff & Joyce Fetters
E Mail: trekker@wildblue.net
Hometown: Raber, MI (eastern UP)
Arrival: Sept 5
Departure: Sept 13
Coming via: Voyageur
Itinerary: 5th - Voyageur to Mc Cargo Cove, paddle to Birch Island?
6th - McCargo Cove - day hike, paddle
7th - Paddle/portage to Lake Richie canoe camp
8th - Paddle/portage to Chippewa Harbor
9th - Paddle/portage to Lake Whittlesey
10th - Paddle/portage to Wood Lake
11th - Paddle/portage to Malone Bay via Siskwit Lake or 2nd night at Wood Lake
12th - Malone Bay
13th - Pick up by Voyageur
Notes: It's been 3 years since our last visit and we are anxious to visit the always special Isle Royale.
Nice trip Jeff. Other than the McCargo to Richie day, only 1 portage a day! And with a light canoe. The Richie to Chippewa portage is one of the few I haven't done before, but I hear it's a little tough. Be sure to stop on Ryans Island, the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest (freshwater) lake in the world!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Re: Canoe trip across the Island, 1 adult, 2 teenage boys, 2 can

Post by Ingo »

Rob513 wrote:... In the interest of my less experienced canoeists, we'll be cheating & taking a water taxi to Malone Bay & around Blake Pt. One trip, we tried for 3 days to get around Blake Point with no luck. It's been a while, however, the memory of that portage from Duncan Bay to Tobin Harbor remains fresh. Switchbacks on a portage trail, gee whiz! I remember one of the shelters at Duncan Narrows had this written on a wall: "Tried to make Blake Pt in 2 Folboats, got swamped, all is lost, there is no God! If you'll be on the Island in June, drop me a line.
Hey Rob, Yeh, you are cheating by skipping out on the Duncan/Tobin portage. It builds character man :) My 13 and 15 year old daughters did it! (and my wife didn't divorce me). But you have done it before, so I got to give you that 8).
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Name: John Heneghan
Email: (at) johnhens at sbcglobal.net
Hometown: La Fox, IL
Arrival Date: May 12
Departure Date: May 31 (?)
Coming From/Via: Ranger III, possibly leaving via the Voyageur
Itinerary: niners, myself and our friend Dan will be taking the Ranger III on the 12th of May.
We will be doing a Volunteer project for the Park Service in Rock Harbor till the 22nd of May.
Tricia will take the Voyageur on the 22nd of May and meet us in RH. From there we will go to Malone Bay/Siskiwit Lake to continue our trip, this part vacation chasing the northern pike and lake trout.
Notes/Other: Our trip logistics have yet to be finalized, but this is the plan!!
Rob513
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Canoe trip across the Island, 1 adult, 2 teenage boys, 2 can

Post by Rob513 »

Ingo wrote:
Rob513 wrote:... In the interest of my less experienced canoeists, we'll be cheating & taking a water taxi to Malone Bay & around Blake Pt. One trip, we tried for 3 days to get around Blake Point with no luck. It's been a while, however, the memory of that portage from Duncan Bay to Tobin Harbor remains fresh. Switchbacks on a portage trail, gee whiz! I remember one of the shelters at Duncan Narrows had this written on a wall: "Tried to make Blake Pt in 2 Folboats, got swamped, all is lost, there is no God! If you'll be on the Island in June, drop me a line.
Hey Rob, Yeh, you are cheating by skipping out on the Duncan/Tobin portage. It builds character man :) My 13 and 15 year old daughters did it! (and my wife didn't divorce me). But you have done it before, so I got to give you that 8).
We might be skipping the Duncan/Tobin portage, however, we still have to get from Lk Ritchie to Chickenbone Lk. Is it possible to get a wilderness camping permit to stay at Lk LaSage or Lk Livermore?
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Rob513 wrote:
Ingo wrote:
We might be skipping the Duncan/Tobin portage, however, we still have to get from Lk Ritchie to Chickenbone Lk. Is it possible to get a wilderness camping permit to stay at Lk LaSage or Lk Livermore?
You would have to check with the Park Service. They will issue backcountry permits, but certain areas are restricted during the summer.