TR: 7/2019 Windigo Camper Cabin with kids

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

TR: 7/2019 Windigo Camper Cabin with kids

Post by newb2019 »

I'll try to include details here for those thinking of coming with kids. We had our teen, tween, and 5YO with us.

Every time we come home from one vacation, I start thinking about the next. So after last summer, I mentally ran down national parks that would be good for a summer visit and can be done together. I settled on Voyageurs and Isle Royale. Voyageurs, because ever since driving past Lake Powell a few years ago and seeing houseboats, I wanted to have that experience, and Isle Royale, due to its intrigue as least-visited NP in the continental US.

Due to also doing Voyageurs, we decided it made more sense to take the VII to Windigo and rather than take our tent or hope for a shelter, book one of the camper cabins. Planning so far ahead, we were unable to book the cabin, but were told to call back on Jan. 2, which is what I did.

Then I found this forum and started lurking. Reading about everyone's backpacking plans made me consider a one-night backpacking excursion to Huginnin Cove with TwK (Tween Kid), the only one that expressed interest. With me being out of shape, having the cabin for the rest of the family, and needing to buy new gear, I ultimately nixed the idea.

We flew into MSP and spent the weekend hanging out at the Mall of America, a concession to TK (Teen Kid), and getting some things we needed. Because we would have a fridge/freezer on the houseboat but not the cabin, we decided to go to Voyageurs first, as there were things we would not be able to pick up later in the trip that needed to remain refrigerated. I'll skip the details of that part of the trip. After spending three nights on the houseboat (amazing except we elected not to shower in lake water), we headed to Duluth for the weekend to recuperate.

Needing to be at the ferry bright and early, we spent Sunday night in Grand Portage, at the Hollow Rock Resort, in their "Fish" cabin. Big, comfortable, and right on the lake. This is where the time on our phones started acting wonky, randomly switching back and forth between Eastern and Central time.

At the dock the next morning, we unloaded our four duffel bags (we left a fifth in the car with some things we would not need), large cooler, two carry-on bags, and assorted other stuff. I don't travel light. :-) Luckily we were called to board early enough that we were able to sit together. (Does anyone know how they determine boarding order?)

Upon arrival, we had our LNT talk, then headed up to the store to check in. I'm not sure if one cabin is preferable to the other, but we were put into the Radisson. Outside is a picnic table, grill (they offered a BBQ kit with utensils for the grill), and large garbage can. Also, between the cabins is a drinking fountain/water spigot, and past the Radisson is an outhouse. On the porch are two Adirondack chairs. Inside, the cabin has three rooms, a main room with a futon, small table/desk, small recycling garbage can, fire extinguisher, and two chairs; and two smaller rooms each with a bunk bed. Each room has a light (main room: with ceiling fan) and smoke detector. The large room had 10 electrical outlets, and the small rooms had four each. Even us city folk never needed anywhere near that.

After a while, someone brought up our duffels in one of the Club Cars, and we settled in. Put on the sheets, set up the sleeping bags, and put pillowcases on the cheap pillows we got at Walmart, pretty much the same routine as when we rent a motorhome. Then we went to check out the store, which was fully stocked, although they did run out of chocolate milk and ice cream while we were there. No butane, but as we were expecting that, we brought our own. We also brought most of our own food, adding ice ($3.52/8 lbs) to our cooler as necessary. Because it got dark late, we ate supper late, but we had to remember to buy drinks before the store closed at 6pm.

We wanted to try out our brand new $20 fishing rod---we didn't buy it until after Voyageurs---so headed down to the dock. An 8YO kid that was there with his parents on their sailboat came over to us, and handed us each some "pirate treasure" from the SS Amazon. Cool kid, who gave us a tour of their boat and later on took all my kiddos (even TK!) for a little ride in their dinghy rowboat, which remained tied to shore. It was nice to have another kid for mine to socialize with.

At night, we usually leave a light on in the restroom, even more important while we are away. Not wanting to leave on any of the overhead lights, we left the porch light on. This attracted a multitude of moths by the morning. If we would stay in the cabins again, we would definitely bring a night light. Also, we left the ceiling fan on to help circulate the air as it was HOT. When 5YO came to us in middle of the night to snuggle, there was an absolute racket in the cabin. Half asleep, we finally figured out that it was the ceiling fan and shut it. The next night we had it on a lower speed and it was fine.

We almost never used the outhouse, choosing to go down the hill most times. Of course, as soon as we'd come up to the cabin, 5YO needed to "rest," and back down we'd go.

Regarding showers, after not showering for three days at Voyageurs, doing it again didn't seem so bad, and we only bought five tokens at $5.51 apiece. Two of the kids chose not to go at all. TK didn't like the idea of "pervert spiders," so had me use the shower ahead of her to clear it out. She proved to us that she is indeed capable of washing, shampooing, conditioning, and rinsing in five minutes.

Laundry is $10.99 per load (need two laundry tokens), plus I think $2 in quarters for the dryer. We did not do laundry. If you plan to, make sure you get tokens/quarters while the store is open.

Activities:

We planned to rent kayaks and head out to Beaver Island for a picnic, but they only had two tandem kayaks, no singles. We'd rather not canoe. We considered renting the small motorboat, but they wanted it back early due to the weather forecast. The weather was fine, but we missed our chance. The next day we dragged our feet, and missed a second opportunity. As mentioned earlier, the kids did get to row a bit, but that's it.

We hiked a bit: just past where the trail to the Minong Ridge crosses Washington Creek, when TwK and 5YO had enough. We turned around to find that TK had already headed back. The next day we hiked the nature trail back through the moose exclosure. TK sat it out, watching videos in the cabin.

Ranger programs: on Monday and Tuesday there was just one ranger program, in the evening. We missed the first night, but Tuesday, we got our Junior Ranger badges and Ranger Jenna personally invited us to the program she was doing, so we went. On days that the Sea Hunter comes, including Wednesdays, there are some more programs, and we attended another one with Ranger Jenna.

I had read Winter Study before going, and bought A Superior Death at the Visitor Center, and look forward to reading it. It was interesting seeing the Visitor Center that I'd read about.

The one activity we did the most of was hang out on the dock. The family on the sailboat set up a "living room" on the dock and we got to know them some. (They were happy to take our pillows when we left, and we were happy we didn't have to bring them back.) We also fished, but caught nothing. I bought a life vest for 5YO for the houseboat, and he wore it while on the dock, as he does not yet know how to swim.

Overall, we had a pretty nice time, and certainly think it's doable with kids, as long as the kids are fully potty-trained, and can get around without needing a stroller.

I'm happy to answer any questions, and will try to upload some relevant photos once I've had a chance to go through them.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: TR: 7/2019 Windigo Camper Cabin with kids

Post by torpified »

Thanks for the thorough and detailed report! I am adding "pervert spiders" to my ever-growing list of IR hazards!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

I have been to Voyageurs a number of times, but have never done the houseboat thing. Sounds like you and your family made your own kind of adventurous vacation here in the northwoods! Thanks for making the effort to get your kids out into the parks.
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

1) Barge with excavator and concrete blocks to build new store's foundation.

2) The cabin is not super private, as no shade on door. I meant to mention the lock: electronic 4-digit keycode that they give you, changed between guests, with a master passcode as well. From the inside, lock can be disengaged by turning the knob.
Attachments
IMG_20190709_173347.jpg
IMG_20190709_074327.jpg
lindsay.heine
NewbieCake

Post by lindsay.heine »

Newb2019 - we should chat! We're going to Voyaguers and Isle Royale next summer with our 4.5 and 6.5 year old boys. Will you connect with me via email? Lindsayrheine@gmail.com
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

Ah, I just responded to your other post, I see you've found my TR. I'll try to email you when I have a minute.