TR bonanza! Two old TRs: 2016 [RH-LC-DF-MB-RH] & 2017 [RH-CH-WC-MC-RH] and links to many other reports

Reports or links to reports on trips.

Moderator: Tom

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

TR bonanza! Two old TRs: 2016 [RH-LC-DF-MB-RH] & 2017 [RH-CH-WC-MC-RH] and links to many other reports

Post by dcclark »

Looking out of the Minong Mine
Looking out of the Minong Mine
Since it's been a slow year for trip reports, Hobbes' 2019 report inspired me to share two old long-form reports that I wrote on my personal blog. I wasn't on here yet when I wrote these, so there are never-before-seen on these forums!

Each trip is spread over multiple blog posts with lots of photos. Enjoy, and remember: Reading trip reports is just like hiking. Pace yourself to get maximum enjoyment!

(And please excuse the extremely mixed Star Wars references contained below.)

2016: My first trip to the island
Rock Harbor -> Lane Cove -> Daisy Farm -> Moskey -> (Rest in the rain) -> Rock Harbor via death march

Intro: Background, Planning, Travel
Day 1: Rock Harbor to Lane Cove
Day 2: Lane Cove to Daisy Farm
Days 3 & 4: Daisy Farm to Moskey and a rest day
Day 5: Moskey to Rock Harbor
Day 6: Homeward Bound

2017: The Island Strikes Back
Rock Harbor -> Chippewa Harbor (via Voyageur) -> West Chickenbone -> McCargoe Cove -> (Rest & Minong mine) -> Rock Harbor (via Voyageur)

Intro: The Saga Begins
Day 1: Rock Harbor and the Stoll Trail
Day 2: Ferry to Chippewa Harbor
Day 3: Chippewa Harbor to West Chickenbone
Day 4: West Chickenbone to McCargoe
Day 5: McCargoe and the Minong Mine
Day 6: Ferry to Rock Harbor
Day 7: Rock Harbor, Houghton, and Home

The Return of the Island, The Island Awakens, etc.

Much credit is due to the sadly defunct Black Coffee at Sunrise for my writing style. Check it out, there are some good older Isle Royale trip reports there too.

There are lots of other non-Isle Royale backpacking trip reports on my blog too, especially for the Porcupine Mountains. You can find a complete list at the Adventure Index.

Final note: Don't worry, I'm not trying to drive traffic to my blog for money or anything (there's no advertising and no referrer links anyhow!). Just hoping to share with others who enjoy reading trip reports as much as me!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: TR bonanza! Two old TRs: 2016 [RH-LC-DF-MB-RH] & 2017 [RH-CH-WC-MC-RH] and links to many other reports

Post by torpified »

Hooray, and thanks! I read these back when they were exclusively available blog-wise, but (like IR) they're great to revisit!

Anybody else have any archival records to pitch in?